Antares Mic Modeler

And I forgot - you made an excellent point about how times change, and the power of nostalgia. It sure is funny to consider how our children will long for the days of vintage 24/96 recordings.....

Good stuff.....

Anyway (sorry to change the topic) but is anyone up for a possible mic modeler shoot out/demo?

I'll see if I have something I can use. Most of the stuff I've been doing lately hasn't needed it, but we'll see.

hmm...

I think that in the end, it's the music that matters. I have a recording of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" that is of such poor quality I believe it was recorded in 1910. But there is something about it that just gives me shivers. It is so good. Good music can survive a bad recording, bad music will just sound that much worse.

The original Louie, Louie sounds like it was recorded in a garage with a mic hanging from the ceiling, yet it's still great. When you hear it you feel like you're there in the garage grooving with the band.

Not that I don't appreciate the sound of a good recording. I do enjoy bathing in the sonic richness of excellent recordings - but I enjoy the sound quality the first few times I listen - after that it's the song or composition that makes me listen again and again.

As for the Beatles, I often ponder what it is that makes them so unique and lasting. It certainly isn't all hype. I am only 21. I came to be a Beatles fan independent of any hype. I just happened to hear Rubber Soul and became hooked. I also know other people my age who have become Beatles fans on their own.

After much listening and thinking there is one thing about the Beatles recordings I have noticed that is somewhat unique. Every instrument and every vocal harmony is a very composed part - most Beatles songs have several melodies in additition to the lead vocal melody that are unique and catchy. Even the drum parts are deliberate and composed. None of the parts are just sitting there taking up sonic space without really adding much to the song.

In many other recordings you'll hear a lot of layered guitars and synths, or harmonies that really don't contribute very much, or drum fills that are just "there". Even the main song melodies are often unmemorable and static, or have a bunch of notes that are extras.

The Beatle records don't have much fat.

Tucci

Beatles, IMHO, are a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

When they splitted up, you'd thought that they would still make great recordings and songs (after all, the White album was something lika that, wasn't it?). But none of their solo efforts (IMHO again) compared to anything they done together.

In arrangements, as Tucci stated and I agree, every one of them played a (sometimes) very simple part that added A LOT to their songs. George Martin's production did that also. And for quality matters, I think Abbey Road for example sounds much better than a lot of its contemporary records.

Just my 2 pesos. (I'm from México)

I bought mic modeller a while ago, played with it a little and just kept it around in case one day I wanted to use it. One day I wanted a 1930's type of mic sound and thought I might find something in mic modeller, but alas... I didn't. Now if I could use it for different vocal flavors like this I would LOVE it but otherwise mic modeller just sits in my plug-in folder.

By the way would anyone know how I would achieve that 1930's-type sound I mentioned, and also could I get suggestions on how to make a vocal sound like it's coming from a bullhorn? :D

I found a record player/vinyl simulator that might you that effect.

It's called izotope vinyl and it's free, direct x. Very well made, you have a lot of different options, like what year the record was made, how much dust there is and how frequent you want cracks. You should be able to get an old sound out of it...If you don't use any pops then it should just sound like an old bull horn or something.

here's were you get it:

http://www.izotope.com/products/vinyl/vinyldx.html

Executivos... You are THE MAN for that link... thank you SO much!!! This Vinyl plug-in is amazing!!!

right on. I produced an bluesy almost country acoustic track a few months ago, and it started just acoustic guitar and singing in the beginning. It was tracked last summer at my apartment, when it was hot and my place being right next to the pool, I forgot and left the window open, so you hear kids in the pool yelling. I used that plugin to cover up the into (the only part it was noticable) You can still hear the kids, but the attention is away because it sounds old. Anyway, it worked great, and when I posted it, everyone loved that effect.

You can check out the song (there's a cool fade in from the old sound to the full clean sound)

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/334/jesse_alvear.html

Whew

Alot here. That part that Mark H added about his wife's hearing being more immediate. Very interesting stuff. I find this is true about copositions as well. Ask a musician if he likes a new song and you get critical evaluation. Ask a lay person, friend that is not a musician or the like and you get it straight frm the heart in terms of yes I like it or a casual "Its allright" which usually is a nice way to say N0 sir, I do not like your music! So the point is not only well taken in its context but has much larger implications and applications.

Hey, Darrin!

Don't get me wrong, I've heard a lot of their solo albums (specially John's and Paul's) and though I love them too, I still think that Beatles' music has that magic (or maybe that tension that was in the air in some of their recordings) that none of them could capture later.

I think that if they would have been toghether longer they would have made AMAZING stuff.

My point was that they could do great, great things together.

Back