"ANNOY-MAN" Microphone...

kidvybes

...let's see if we can avoid using the "N" word on this website for 1-week...I dare all you "Annoy-Man" lovers to try...maybe we can talk about those old rusty Mercedes you guys got collecting dust in your garage...or the old Sylvania B/W TV's you got stored in the attic...how about your Elvis 7" vinyl collection?...I dare ya!

...hit a nerve?

...sounds like I hit a nerve...actually, if the mics, that the majority of people on this website could afford, were described/compared using references that the rest of us could relate to (in the real world of a struggling musician), it in fact would be very helpful...Thank you

No nerve was hit. You are merely annoying, man.

You just started a thread about using very expensive tubes in a mic, which most can't afford to do. Should we start a thread about how you are dissing cheap tubes? STFU.

The Neumann thread was started by a troll. He gets what he deserves.

Neumann... Neumann... Neumann... lol.

kidvybes said:
...let's see if we can avoid using the "N" word on this website for 1-week...I dare all you "Annoy-Man" lovers to try
Hmm.............. why?

kidvybes said:
DJL...you had second thoughts on your first reply (deleted)...shows good sense on your part...
Yeah, I was trying to think of a nice way to tell you to go play on the freeway... oops, I mean in the cave... any ideas? :D

kidvybes said:
...read the thread again...the tubes were bought on Ebay for $5. each...and stop twitching...

I got my last Neumann for $250. You got a good deal. So did I. What's your point?
The next time we will both probably have to spend more to get what we want. And we will. I know I will.

the sad part...

...the sad part is that there is a point to this posting...but some people don't get it...it's not about messing with you guys...it's about letting the occassional thread run it's course, without trashing the poor guy who wants to upgrade his Radio Shack mic to that $200. Studio Projects mic, by telling him he needs a "N______" if he's really serious about recording...I read the threads...it's all over the place...and more importantly it's not even accurate...there are, on the other hand, a few regulars who continue to support the value of the "bargain" brand mics...you missed the humor in this posting, and more importantly, you miss the point...

Oh, and DJL...I'd delete that last remark too...(embarassing attempt at humor)

Last edited:
Hmm, and the reason you started this Neumann bashing titled thread ("ANNOY-MAN") was because... why again?

And for the rest of your request...
kidvybes said:
...let's see if we can avoid using the "N" word on this website for 1-week...I dare all you "Annoy-Man" lovers to try...maybe we can talk about those old rusty Mercedes you guys got collecting dust in your garage...or the old Sylvania B/W TV's you got stored in the attic...how about your Elvis 7" vinyl collection?...I dare ya!
... don't you think those other subjects belong in the Cave rather than on the mic forum?

kidvybes said:
...the sad part is that there is a point to this posting...but some people don't get it...it's not about messing with you guys...it's about letting the occassional thread run it's course, without trashing the poor guy who wants to upgrade his Radio Shack mic to that $200. Studio Projects mic, by telling him he needs a "N______" if he's really serious about recording...I read the threads...it's all over the place...and more importantly it's not even accurate...there are, on the other hand, a few regulars who continue to support the value of the "bargain" brand mics...you missed the humor in this posting, and more importantly, you miss the point...

Oh, and DJL...I'd delete that last remark too...(embarassing attempt at humor)

The thing is, I kind of agree with you. Being a smart-ass noobie isn't gonna get you or the board anywhere, though.

I read a lot here, and there isn't really that much of what you are talking about. There is some. There is always gonna be. I'll dust on something if it's really a piece of crap, if there is a similar priced better product. Otherwise, hey, whatever you can afford. Except the Alesis 3630. That I will always trash.

You aren't helping by taking an attitude about things.

Last edited:
kidvybes said:
it's about letting the occassional thread run it's course, without trashing the poor guy who wants to upgrade his Radio Shack mic to that $200. Studio Projects mic, by telling him he needs a "N______" if he's really serious about recording

I'd love to see a link to that thread. The only thread like that I can recall was one where my beloved SM81s were trashed in favor of DPA and Schoeps.

In fact the opposite usually happens--somebody comes along and says that X mic is just as good as Y mic that costs 10x more. Well, you won't hear me say that the SM81 is as good as DPA, because it probably isn't true, and I've never used a DPA so what the hell do I know?

Fact is the Neumann users (of which I am not one) don't particularly care about the low-end, and only rise up to complain when baited. So stop baiting them.

As for your comment about mics that home users can afford, which mic do you want to know about? Have you searched the archives? Every SP, MXL, and Oktava mic has been discussed ad nauseum here such that I know what they sound like even though I've never used or even seen one.

There are plenty of mics that are as good or better than most Neumanns. I don't think anyone here works for Neumann and I don't get the impression anyone is saying you have to own Neumanns. All that I've read so far is that people aren't impressed with the sound of the SP mics in a test against a Neumann. I would bet most users of Neumann mics would gladly give you a list of mics that they like that are not made by Neumann. I have a friend who owns a SP C1 and several Neumanns and he loves the C1 for certain things and uses it instead of his Neumanns.

How many times did I say Neumann in that post? :D

mshilarious said:
Fact is the Neumann users (of which I am not one) don't particularly care about the low-end, and only rise up to complain when baited. So stop baiting them.
You're a wise man. ;)

mshilarious said:

This is complete b.s. Nobody's baiting anyone. If the Neumann users (and I'm one of them) realize they have a superior piece of gear, but don't having anything positive to contribute, then they should just shut up.

There's nothing wrong with budget gear, there's nothing wrong with comparing it to high-end gear -- because nearly everyone here wants to at least come CLOSE to the high-end sound but can't afford to.

To my mind, the Neumann guys who are screaming foul are only doing it because they're actually starting to wonder if they just put a second mortgage on their house for an improvement in sound that doesn't remotely justify the price.

The Neumann guys should instead spend their time actually CONTRIBUTING to the discussion rather than go for the slash and burn. How hard it is to realize that some people can't afford a Neumann, but to give them the benefit of your wisdom with the mics they CAN afford.

robgb said:
This is complete b.s. Nobody's baiting anyone. If the Neumann users (and I'm one of them) realize they have a superior piece of gear, but don't having anything positive to contribute, then they should just shut up.

There's nothing wrong with budget gear, there's nothing wrong with comparing it to high-end gear -- because nearly everyone here wants to at least come CLOSE to the high-end sound but can't afford to.

To my mind, the Neumann guys who are screaming foul are only doing it because they're actually starting to wonder if they just put a second mortgage on their house for an improvement in sound that doesn't remotely justify the price.

The Neumann guys should instead spend their time actually CONTRIBUTING to the discussion rather than go for the slash and burn. How hard it is to realize that some people can't afford a Neumann, but to give them the benefit of your wisdom with the mics they CAN afford.

You still really don't get the point. I can only speak for myself and say it fourty ways, I will try fourty-one now. I am not bashing budget mics. I am saying that it does nobody any good to lead them on that a budget mic will sound like a mic that they might never own. Why even compare a budget mic to an expensive mic?

TO SELL BUDGET MICS.

You don't find this wrong?

SP and anyother mic sales guys should stick to ethics and quit comparing their $100 mics to mics costing thousands. I certainly am not worried that I spent money on Neumanns or many other of the high $$$ mics I have. I spent most of my recording life (30 years pro and home) learning that the budget stuff will only get you so far. That is the truth and is totally undisputed.

I say that if your budget is low (like most home reccers) there are many low $$ pieces of gear that will get you great sound and will help develop your experience. That is the point of a hobby, right?

But, I draw the line at trying to tell these people that a $100 mic, pre-amp, etc. will get them the same sound as a holy-grail mic. It is misleading and not true. Now, I have said this in many ways, many times and if you cannot understand what I am saying, just be happy that you have better sounding equipment than I and be happy that I lost so many $$$.

Last edited:
It seems like you two (kv, rob) have not understood the concept of the law of diminishing returns.

It is an old and virtually universal concept, and the fact you don't understand this makes me wonder about the rest of your life experience.

acorec said:
I am not bashing budget mics
Me neither... in fact, I recommend budget mics on hr.com a lot... however, if kidvybes and robgb don't knock it off soon, I may start bashing their favorite brand of budget mics. ;)

Back