AM radio vocal effect

BigPapaFly

How can I achieve an am radio vocal style without destroyinh the lyircs. Last night I took two vocal parts and jached the mids, took the lows out, and tried different things with the highs, and bounced them to two other tracks...then I did the same to the bounced track and bounced it back to the original...I did this sveral times and applied a small amount of flange and I was thrilled with resulting TONE...but the lyrics were destroyed.

If buying a bullhorn is the asnwer I will seriously do that....where do I get one.

Also, distorting the vocal a little does a little something like am radio when you combine it with high mids...but

There was an alternative diso-ish tune out a few years ago called "I Could Never be Your Woman," anyone know this song? That is exactly what I want to do with vocals.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Oh yeah, I also tried singing through a paper towel holder. Nope.

TY

BPF

what software/hardware do you have to use?

In CEP I use a scientific filter with the stricty 1khz preset, It was basicly a notch filter around 1 khz, sounded alot like am radio to me. No lows no highs and it just plain sounds like crap.

ya know...don't dismiss actually running the track thru a little crappy 4" speaker, and mic'ing it. You might get closer to what you want that way. Alot of EQing a lot of times sounds just like that:...a lot of EQing.

The megaphone of choice for rock vocals, if you can find one, is the older Realistic 33-2029A Power Horn Megaphone (classic grey unit).

Falco, a german artist had a song calles Jeannie in which a radiovoice was used. I mixed a band for several years who covered this song, on which I used the spx990 preset 'radio-voice' or something like that. Exactly like coming from a radio. I'll look for the exact name on this machine.

I can't believe that no one has recommended:

AN OLD CRAPPY MICROPHONE!

I get cool results with Electro-Voice Mercury model# 911 or 611.

Has that thin, paper-like quality.

Ditto Harvey and the megaphone. It also works great for Harp on stage and properly used can even get the harp to sustain through the PA.

cheers
John

i've seen a c.b mic used live, extraordinary sound (mike patton uses one)...cubase has a preset in the parametric e.q. called "old time radio" may be worth cheking out

What I've done a time or two in the past was to take a speaker out of a telephone reciever and held it in place witha soldering vice (a little gizmo with two alligator clips for holding wire in place while soldering) and drove it with a headphone amp and miced it. Worked like a champ.

thanks a lot for the good wishes, John, but I don't think we are on the 3rd. World now or anytime soon. Our goal this year will be to stay in one of the single-digits Worlds. If we can do that, then we will celebrate by going on vacations in our Ford Falcons, and we will record a demo in our Geloso recorder. That is if we can buy replacement valves from the russians, who were "those poor guys" last year, but now they are like new-richs for us and I seriously doubt that they will accept any payment from this side of the world.
Anyways, I'll hurry up writing this lines before this PC breakes and I'll have to plug the Texas Instruments ti99/4a again, which I don't recall having internet connection.

Don't cry for me Argentinaaaaaaa!!!

I was reading an article recently, and David Gilmour of Pink Floyd said they got that effect by recording the vocalist using two mics side by side without phase reversal on either mic. Don't know if it works, but I'm going to give it a try eventually.

Back