Am I getting ripped off ?

Scoot

I was in the local music shop the other day and they have on special 2 mics in a hard case. AKG C2000B and C1000s. He said they were usually $1140.00 but would sell them to me for $649.00 (Aus Dollars). Is this a good buy ??
Any comments appreciated.

You could probably find them cheaper online if you search around. I think the real question is...Do you actually NEED them? What do have already in the microphone department?

M10K - I have two SM58's and that's it.

V.Verbal - Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Normal Price: $ 1,149.00
Special Price: $ 499.00

Got this off the link....well there ya go. ;)

Thanks again - if I decide to get them that's where I'll go.

Vaquero............. how did you come across that link?

Scoot..............I can't comment on the C2000, BUT the C1000 is very limited in it's usefullness and if you do a search on it here, you'll probably get what I'm saying.

Maybe if you give us an idea of what you want to track in the future and what the rest of your signal chain is/will be, then we may be able to suggest some alternatives that would be better suited.

:cool:

eBay:

Audio Trechnica AT4040: $239 (US)

Shure SM81: $348 (US)

Total: $588 before tax and shipping

Sound?: Waaaaaaaaaayyyy better

Knowing you bought much better mics for the about the same?: Priceless

Thanks for all the feedback .... I might do a bit more research. I basically only want to mic vocals and guitars (both accoustic and electric) and maybe the odd percussion instrument at this stage. I am also just doing this for fun at the moment as I'm only a beginner at recording. Maybe I should just stick to my 2 SM58's for a time while I work out what I'm doing on the recording side of things ???? ( I am running this all through a Zoom HD8 )

Last edited:
eBay:

Audio Trechnica AT4040: $239 (US)

Shure SM81: $348 (US)

Total: $588 before tax and shipping

Sound?: Waaaaaaaaaayyyy better

Knowing you bought much better mics for the about the same?: Priceless
up

It would be a way better mic set up if the price works in Aus dollars.

F.S.

By the time you add o/seas postage costs from the US to here, those two mics would probably cost you well over $700AU :( .

Scoot,

You would definitely notice the difference between your 58's and a reasonable condenser mic, (not knocking the 58's, they're the type of mic that are always handy to have around)..........if possible avoid Behringer mics and don't hesitate to ask questions or PM me.

Thanks Ausrock.... I just had the AKG's offered to me and thought it might be a bargain, but as it turns out they're probably not. I'll work out what I'm doing with the recording side of things first and maybe PM you for advice when I'm up to the stage of upgrading the mic side of things.
Thanks heaps ;)

Thanks Ausrock.... I just had the AKG's offered to me and thought it might be a bargain, but as it turns out they're probably not. I'll work out what I'm doing with the recording side of things first and maybe PM you for advice when I'm up to the stage of upgrading the mic side of things.
Thanks heaps ;)

No Scoot, you're better off leaving the AKGs alone, there's plenty of better mics out there that would suit your setup and they won't cost an arm and a leg ;) so feel free to PM me if necessary. BTW, out of curiousity, whereabouts are you?

Just remember the first law of product diversity: companies that make a diverse range of products rarely excel at any of them... and the corollary: a company good at one thing is generally terrible at everything else.

For example, AKG makes good dynamics (e.g. the D112), so you should generally assume their condensers aren't very good. Same applies for Shure for the most part, IMHO (though I do find the VP88 to be quite good). Similarly, companies that build good condensers rarely make good dynamics.

The rare exception would be companies that buy other companies that are good in other areas (e.g. Neumann buying Sennheiser means that Neumann's dynamics don't suck).

No Scoot, you're better off leaving the AKGs alone, there's plenty of better mics out there that would suit your setup and they won't cost an arm and a leg ;) so feel free to PM me if necessary. BTW, out of curiousity, whereabouts are you?

Northern Rivers NSW (but in the bush)

Cool. N'cle here, the shop that Vaquero linked to is the major store here and I've known/been friends with the owner for 35 years.

Back