alternitive to sm58

tmcbrinn

Are there any good alternitives to the sm58 or Beta 58? I know Akg makes a couple in the same price range, anyone have any experience woth those?

Notice how mics that are simular to the SM58 refer to themselves as "Like an SM58". That is because the SM58 has set the standard that everyone uses for that style of microphone.

If you want a better vocal mic for recording, you will need to move up to the vocal condensor microphones.

Word of caution on the Beta 87. If you ever use them for live performances, make sure the stage is big enough so that you have some space between your singer and the drums, especially if you are going to record the show. I recorded a live show once and used the 87 on vocals, thinking that I could get a great vocal track. It turned out that I got vocals plus a lot of drums. It pretty much ruined my recording. Feedback is easier to control with the SM58. I am sure that tou are well aware that would hurt your recording also. So to be safe, use the SM58.

I've never recorded my band using a Beta 87 to record with; I only record in stereo with only two mics recording the entire PA, amps, and un-miked drums (except for the bass drum going through the PA). In my opinion, a lot of times, it sounds better than a lot of multi-track live recordings I've heard (non-pro of course). Actually, I know that Dave Matthew's Band records ALL their concerts using only a matched-pair of Oktava MC012s. Believe me, I've sat in front of the mic stand with it right between my eyes at one of their concerts; and yes that's all they were useing because I personally talk with all three of the house engineers.

Forgot to mention another thing, again. My brother (my band's lead vocalist uses a Beta 87 for vocals). My bass player who is also the "back-up" singer uses a SM-58. In fact, we were just talking tonight (since we had a gig), that we really should get another Beta 87 just because the output of the SM-58 is not enough. Put the two right next to eachother at the same gain amount at the pre and you'll love the Beta 87.

Don't get me wrong, the Beta 87 is not for everyone. In fact, I'd reach for an SM-58 90% of the time before even thinking about trying a Beta 87. I've even recorded vocalists with SM-58s in the studio. What's funnier is when the vocalist HAS to have the mic in his/her hand and can't sit still. "See, it sound fine the way I wanted to do it". Of course, they never know I recorded them with a matched-pair of Earthworks QTC1 omnis that are pretty much always a perminant fixture in my studio.

When I first started recording in my own studio, I used a Beta 87 for awhile. It sounded great for vocals. I now use large diaphragm mics for vocals, but I still have a Beta 87 in my arsenal.

Last night at a gig, my band used Shure Beta sm58's. Sounded good on 2 of the 3 singers, but I have a deep voice and I think it looses the low end a bit too much. THis could easily be solved by having the soundguy mess with the eq, but they are usually jerks who don't really care about it anway, and that would be asking to much. I figure if I could get something with a little less bass rolloff, that would take care of everything. Sounds good on tape though.

The Audio-Technica 41-HE is a bette mic than the SM58. It is more sensitive has more bass response and more high range. Simply better.

The sm58 "sets the standard" that other mics surpass because it is alomst 40 years old. Technology has improved since then and better mics are being made and sold for the same price.

The Volkwagen Beetle "sets the standard" on successful automobile design and manufacturing because it is still being made and sold 50 years after its launch. However the newer cars are far far better.

Microsoft Corp. "sets the standard" for so many application programs and Operating systems. That does not mean they make the best programs.

Coca-Cola "sets the standard" on soft drink sales. Tha does not mean they make the best tasting soft drinks.

The Sm-58 "sets the standard" on sales of entry level profession vocal performance microphones. That does not mean that is the best mic in that category.

The ATM-41HE is better.

IMHO. Try it for yourself in a store.

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to recording and live performance but when I went to buy my first serious microphone for live performance, an experienced live sound man convinced me to try an Audix OM3xb. I compared to a 58 and liked it better. He told me that since he started selling Audix he had only sold one 58 because everyone thought the OM3xb sounded better. I haven't seen any information about them on here so I guess they aren't too well respected but a lot of top touring artists use higher end Audix mic's. I also wanted to pose a question to recording engineer. If DMB only uses to audience mic's to record performances, how do they manage to pan the different instruments?

I'm not sure I really understand your question. The mic facing the left side of the stage goes to the left channel of the DAT, the other to the right. I don't know what pre they were using though.

Actually the reason I asked the question is because yesterday morning I was listening to "Live at Luther College" and as I have just started home recording I have been paying close attention to how things are mixed. So that was fresh on my mind when I read your post. It sounds like Tim Reynolds guitar is panned really hard left on that CD. I don't see how they could do that with the setup you mentioned. I guess since maybe that isn't actually the Dave Matthews Band they could've recorded it differently.

I'm sorry you don't understand what I tried to explain regarding two microphone stereo recording. As far as Live at Luther College is concerned, I don't know how it was recorded nor performed. Was Reynolds playing on the left side? Did most of Reynold's sound come from the left side?

I like the audio technica 41-HE better than the SM-58. To my ears the bass boost is a little warmer and rounder, a Shure Beta SM-58 sounds a little alien to me actually, at least in live applications, the Audio technica is more vowel-y. But what i really like live for vocals is an SM-57 it's really tight, you get less feedback and (this may be just for my voice) it sounds more in front.

Back