alternitive to sm58

I have heard of a brand called Pro DJ. The model is Pdm-3.
Someone said that an engineer who used to work for Shure left and set up his own business in microphones, making from the exact specifications that Shure uses. The Pdm-3 is the equivelant of the SM58 and another Pdm-57 is you know what.

The good thing is the price, I saw a shop selling it for about $30 US. But this brand may be a bit harder to find in the shops I think.

It's fun also to notice that the 41HE has a better frequency response than a Beta 58 which is a condenser :o).
The 41HE goes up to 17KHz, the 63HE to 18KHz. I haven't tried recording vocals with it yet, but for live application, it sounds awesome.

The AT 41-HE is a dynamic hyper-cardioid mic with a neo-dyneium(sp?) element. I actually haven't seen one in a store for a long time- except at this electronic supply place called AVEC here in richmond that carries AT and only AT. they have about four that have been sitting in there for about two years- I'm tempted to go in at tell them that I'll take them off their hands for real cheap- I can't imagine anyone bying a mic in there- their clientel are mostly electricians. But I'm pretty stuck on SM-57's, cause live I gotta get right up on it! man that mic stinks when it's all over!

Around here every music store is full of ATMs and Shures, and I tried two store to buy my "stage" microphone for my voice. Both did the same demonstration, plugged a SM58 in a console with all knobs turned to 50%, talked through it, it sounded a big muffled, then they plugged the 41HE and wow much more clarity and about 50% louder.

Back