Alison Krauss microphone

Findlay

I saw a photo of Alison the other day in a UK newspaper - the Daily Telegraph. It was a studio shot with her beside a really classy looking microphone on a huge trolley and gantry. Unfortunately I don't have a copy. But what intrigues me is that the mic had two huge cables running from it. Dual cabling is new to me - does anyone know why and how this is done?

Is this the one?
I've never seen anything like that. Can only guess that maybe it's a separate power supply and output cable?
Quite often valve microphones will have 5-10 pin connectors going to an external power supply, designed specifically for that circuit.

I don't know...Maybe someone will recognise it.

3D9241E000000578-4249862-image-m-19_1487936704799.jpg

Yes that's the one! I hope someone does recognise it. I'd love to know what mic they use to capture that wonderful voice!

Here's the full picture.......
I'm inclined to believe it was a prop, but perhaps a real mic (not sure about the power supply being for a mic. It sorta looks like an old photo strobe head power pack), that was used for the photo shoot, but wasn't used for any actual recording. What I could find on her recordings is she typically has a Sony C800G in front of her.

Mic looks a bit heavy for a dolly that doesn't have sand bags or other weight, don't it?

Chalk it up as 'Fake news' :)

Attachments

• C6B4JLTXQAAIKzn.jpg
    C6B4JLTXQAAIKzn.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 72
One of those isn't a cable, it's the pivoting tip of the boom that attaches to the mic.

Nah, behind that, you can just about see another connector.
Arcaxis' picture shows the two better.

I don't know. I'm doubting it's a real mic, but it seems oddly specific having two cables running to it.

The whole thing is photo shopped. Look at how thick the mic stand is, compared to her size. Either she is less than 4 foot tall, or its just a picture of her superimposed in a picture of a mic on a stand.

I just looked it up. She is 5'7", which would make the mic in the picture about 3 feet long (ok, probably closer to 2 feet. But the mic is bigger than her leg.) If it was, there would be no way for that stand to hold it like that. What would be the point of a 3 foot long lollypop mic?

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe my ears are playing up. but listening to the new album her vocals don't sound quite the same. If anything there is a slight harshness. I'm wondering if this new mic (if it is real!) is the culprit? Does anyone have a high res photo they could share by any chance?

I don't know about that, man.

Even if it is more than a prop, which I suspect it is with the dual cables, I can't see too many people using their actual studio mic for a photo session, unless the shoot is clearly in the studio during tracking.
That looks like it's on a stage or location somewhere, for show.

The fact that it's huge makes me think it's real too. I mean, if someone wanted to design a prop mic it seems stupid to make it half the size of the artist and have two cables running into it!
I hadn't noticed before but it's vented like crazy up the side too.

I'm going to guess it's some rarity with active circuitry or something more than the usual inside it. A guess is all it is, though.

Thanks - that tube mic does look similar! If it is something like this she is using I'm surprised that the sound is more shrill than normal. I'd expect a bit more warmth from a tube!

Thanks also for the other pic - it is still a bit low res though at 400 x 225 - It is difficult to see much detail!

Thanks also for the other pic - it is still a bit low res though at 400 x 225 - It is difficult to see much detail!

Sorry about that. it must have gotten compressed more when I uploaded it. You can google Saturday sessions Alison Krauss then browse the images. It'll be in there.

If that is a studio shot, why is there fog? it's a photo shoot, not an actual picture of her in the studio recording the album.

Back