Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan... No Stephen Paul Mic?

Thanks

Question Alan... No Stephen Paul Mic?

Sign in to disable this ad
    The Stephen Paul mic wasn't on the market because Stephen Paul didn't finish working on the microphone yet... now that Stephen Paul is dead, my question is.... is there going to be a Stephen Paul mic for sale on the market now, and if so, who's going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final disign decisions?
    One of the things I like the most about hr.com is reading what everyday people like you and I have experienced with products as opposed to reading what the manufacturers want us to read about their products.

Thanks
    From what I read at the PMI forum on at rec.org, the design is final. The only things left out there are the decisions on the sourcing for some parts and the final "go".

The message that Alan left here and on rec.org is that the microphone will be a memorial to Stephen...what part of that led you to believe that it wouldn't be built?

Thanks
    Stephen never gave the final "go"... did Alan say who's going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final disign decisions?
    One of the things I like the most about hr.com is reading what everyday people like you and I have experienced with products as opposed to reading what the manufacturers want us to read about their products.

Thanks
    Tony Merrill is more than qualified to make any final tweaks to the Stephen Paul mic in accordance with Stephen's goals for the mic's performance. He's been Stephan's "hands" for several years now.

Thanks
    Is Stephen Paul's assistant Tony Merrill going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final disign decisions... and later debugging if need be?

Thanks
    Does anyone have a link to somewhere we could find information about the mic in general? I'd be interested to hear about it and I should think others don't know much about it like me.
    People these days wont take responsiblity for anything, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks
    The mic doesn't exist yet... and the project design plans have been top secret... so your not really going to hear much about the mic itself.... except "buy it", but hopefully we'll know more soon.
    Last edited by DJL; 12-28-2003 at 10:49.

Thanks
    I bet its gonna be the best mic....ever.

Thanks
    Originally posted by DJL
    Is Stephen Paul's assistant Tony Merrill going to finish Stephen Paul's work and make the final design decisions... and later debugging if need be?
    Let me make this perfectly clear: AFAIK, the mic is completely finished and working. During one of my last conversations with Stephen, he was still waiting on some unique parts to be finished so that they could begin production. These parts did not affect the final sound; they were strictly innovative switches. They did NOT affect the final sound in any way.

The mic is finished as far as I know and was expected to be shown either at the NAMM show in January, or released in February. There are no "final design decisions"; Stephen's vision was completed before he died.

Finally, Tony Merrill is far from just being "Stephen Paul's assistant" - he's become one amazing designer in his own right, who is more than capable of carrying on Stephen's legacy. He was in on the original design from the beginning - he fully understands the reason behind every piece inside the mic.

Stephen knew he was dying; from conversations with Stephen, it was pretty obvious to me that he meant for Tony to carry on his legacy, and he prepared Tony for that eventuality.

Thanks
    Originally posted by DJL
    The mic doesn't exist yet... and the project design plans have been top secret... so your not really going to hear much about the mic itself.... except "buy it".
    Why are you doing this, DJL? The mic does exist.

I talked to Stephen at great lengths about the design implementation, and why he was doing the various things he was doing. He even invited me down to the shop to hear the damn thing (an offer I regretfully couldn't take him up on at the time).

Unless you have access to some top secret information that is unknown to me, why are you implying that after almost two years of work on this (and a scheduled release date in February), that the mic doesn't even exist, and will only be seen as a hyped product?

It's a slap in the face to Stephen's efforts and I, for one, resent it.

Stephen and I have talked for almost 20 years about his building a microphone the way he wanted it to be, from the ground up. It was always his dream. To have him die, only weeks from seeing that dream finally realized, is a tragedy beyond measure for me.

Trash me if you wish, or question Alan's motives, but please let Stephen have his final moment of satisfaction.

At least wait for the parade to start before pissing on it.

Thread Information