AKG vs Shure kick drum mics

Nick The Man

im currently selling my AKG D112 on ebay

and i plan on buying a new kick drum mic very soon

and im looking at the Shure Beta 52 .. good idea or is there a better choice for a mic that is 200 dollars or less??

My experience is that many people who don't care for the D112 like Audix D6. Myself, I prefer the D112, but I use it for a lot of stuff other than kick. EV RE20 rocks, but it is *not* a $200 mic. I don't personally have much use for Beta 52.-Richie

what don't you like about the D112?

(the answer to this question will probably help me point you in a direction)

giraffe said:
what don't you like about the D112?

(the answer to this question will probably help me point you in a direction)

Probably has it backwards and wonders why he can't get any "click" out of it. :p

boingoman said:
Probably has it backwards and wonders why he can't get any "click" out of it. :p

actually, i remember a thread........ i think it was nic that posted it? not sure.

like "is my d112 broken?"
finally got him to post a clip, of what was THE WORST sounding kick ever.
no mic would have made it sound good.

was that you nic? sorry if not.

giraffe said:
actually, i remember a thread........ i think it was nic that posted it? not sure.

like "is my d112 broken?"
finally got him to post a clip, of what was THE WORST sounding kick ever.
no mic would have made it sound good.

was that you nic? sorry if not.

yeah that was me im suprised you remembered yeah i bought it off of ebay and HATED IT

i could only get a click .. it seriously sounded like i was just tapping the mic with my stick or something

so i wanna try somethin else .. i might go for the audix too i hear alot of great things but so far my experience with audix hasnt been to desirable ethier im also selling a i5 becuase i didnt like that at all ethier but ill look into some things

The Beta 52 gets a great clicky, metal kick sound if that is what you are after....

Hey Nick,

I have the beta 52 and I love it! I'm sure you will like it too! But I see you already made your decision!

Good Luck!

Tano said:
Hey Nick,

I have the beta 52 and I love it! I'm sure you will like it too! But I see you already made your decision!

Good Luck!

no the desicion hasnt been made yet so thank you for the contribution

im teetering on the D6 and the Beta

its almost come down to

which ever mic is going for cheaper for brand new on ebay

I'd like to add that I have used the D112 on several occassions and it is a real nice kick drum mic. If you can't get the sound you want out of it... turn your attention to the kick drum rather than the kick drum mic. Also placement of the kick drum mic will dramatically effect the tone you get. If the source sounds less than desireable, fix that rather than replacing the well proven device which captures it. Too many people think gear is the problem when it's more likely a technique issue. That may not be you but, I thought I should tell you my opinion.

Peace

The D6 has straight tens on the harmony central reviews, if that says anything. I've used a D112, but I don't like it as much as my E902. I wouldn't pay any more than I did for it, which was around $125 used. It's $200 new. I'm satisfied with it for now, but I'm thinking about replacing it later with a D6.

I've tried recording with the front head off, and it sounds better than some positions (having the resonant head on and the mic very close to the batter head, for one), but I prefer placing the mic through a hole, half way in, near the bottom, and facing the hit area.

There is no "better" kick drum mic for that price, just "different" kick drum mics. In my experience, all of the standard $200 kick mics from the major mic manufactureres sound pretty decent. Personally I do not care for the AT much, but the Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, Audix, EV etc... all do jsut fine. None of them really seem all that much different to me, and none of them give me the kick drum sound that I like without applying some EQ. In the end, if you can't get a good sound out of any of those mics, it isn't the mics fault.

xstatic said:
In the end, if you can't get a good sound out of any of those mics, it isn't the mics fault.

I agree. If you don't want the clicky sound, don't point the mic at where the beater hits. Proper tuning of the drum is of course important as well. Try a different (softer) beater.

All that said, my favorite kick drum mic is a cheapo. It's a Peavey 520i. Great mic.

I guess I've got a question...is this the only mic you have had a chance to use...is this your only point of reference? I wonder if this this could be hosed up. I mean going back to some of your old threads regarding this mic when you first purchased it, it seemed suspect.

Since you're looking at kick drum mics, go down to the GC and ask them to set up a couple mics for you on a drum head...make like you're doing some comparisons...take yours along with. See if there's a major difference in performance or is it all in the application. I mean the mics are going to sound different but not like night and day on a kick. I mean...one isn't going to be a click mic and another a full round sound mic.

Like the other's have already pointed out placement, drum equipment and tuning are all going to play a big part in how it sounds.

punkin said:
I guess I've got a question...is this the only mic you have had a chance to use...is this your only point of reference? I wonder if this this could be hosed up. I mean going back to some of your old threads regarding this mic when you first purchased it, it seemed suspect.

Since you're looking at kick drum mics, go down to the GC and ask them to set up a couple mics for you on a drum head...make like you're doing some comparisons...take yours along with. See if there's a major difference in performance or is it all in the application. I mean the mics are going to sound different but not like night and day on a kick. I mean...one isn't going to be a click mic and another a full round sound mic.

Like the other's have already pointed out placement, drum equipment and tuning are all going to play a big part in how it sounds.

yeah i really need to get this thing tuned up good...................... i cant get a good sound with the reasontant head off ... i also cant really get a good sound with the head

i dont really like my pedal ethier

Back