AKG mics part II - drum mics

Richard Monroe

Ok, this is part II in the process of sorting out the mind-numbing number of models of AKG mics. My purpose is to help make sense of this line and find the ones that really are worth the money. In part II, I will be discussing mics that are intended for or used primarily for drums, conga, Djembe, etc. There are many AKG mics which are more general purpose which have lots of uses on drums, such as D770, C414, C451, C2000B, and yes, even C1000S, but I will save general purpose condensers for part III. I covered handheld dynamics in part I.

First thing to note here- there is a huge markup in this line of mics, so you can find cool bargains and huge screwjobs on the same mic from the same dealer.
For instance, 8th street will sell you a C418 or C419 mini condenser for $300 each, and a D112 dynamic kick mic for $200. But- they will also sell you (3) C418's, (1) C419, and (1)D112 for $520! What does this tell you? They are raping you on the price of these mics individually. They'll sell you a D550 kick mic for $170. I bought mine brand new on sale at GC for $50. Look for deals, they're out there. Anyway, here goes-

Kick mics-

D12E (discontinued)- an old time live and studio standard . Many people prefer it to all modern alternatives. Classic kick sound, not real punchy. Whether it's worth it depends on the price, the condition, and the sound you are looking for. I just listed this one because so many people still use it.

D112- This mic was designed for recording double bass, not kick, but it is one of several studio standards for kick. It is brighter than D12, which makes it a pretty good voiceover mic. It rocks on bass cabs, and is an all around pretty good dynamic, capable of handling very high SPL's. And whaddya know? It's good on double bass.

D550- This is a much brighter, punchier mic. It sounds like an Audix D6. Good for people looking for a more modern sound with more click. Would I pay $170 for it? Probably not. On sale for $50, it was a no-brainer. IMO, it sucks on bass cabs, too bright, but is pretty good on floor toms or Djembe.

D11/D110- wicked cheap. Generic AKG cheap dynamics packaged to look like drum mics. Just get an SM57 or a D770, it'll cost about the same and have more uses.

snare and toms-

D440- if you like Audix D3/D4, you'll like this mic. I'm not a big fan of this mic, because I believe the money would be better spent on general purpose handheld dynamics that have more uses. D770 works very well in that role.

C418/C419- These are microcondensers made to clip on to rims, and they are very good drum mics. However- see the huge price variations I noted above. Unless you can talk a seller into huge price reductions, the only way to do these is as part of the kit I mentioned above. The dealers will tell you that they don't need phantom power, which is bullshit. If your mixer doesn't provide phantom power, they will work with battery powered body packs, which will add quite a bit to the cost of the mic. They work very well on sax/brass, and a variety of other instruments in a live setting. I think these are damned useful, but only as a multi-mic pak, mostly live, and only if you have a mixer with phantom power.

D22/D220- see above regarding D11/D110- These are great doorstops and fishing sinkers. There is nothing they do that a D770 won't do better, and the D770 will do lots of other things as well.

I'm mostly skipping over overheads, as I'll cover them in part III under general condensers. Exception- C430. This is intended as a cheaper alternative to C451, mostly for overheads. At $200 each, I am unimpressed. You would do better, in my opinion, to get some Oktava MC012's or Studio Projects C-4's or Rode NT5's or MXL604's. It's not that the C430 is that bad. It's just that there are so many better (and often cheaper) alternatives.

That's it for now- I'll conclude in part III with condensers.-Richie

Thanks again, Sir, for the fine info!

I also am waiting patiently for your info on the 414. I have one and woudl love tips on how to make better use of it.

Great stuff, Richard! - SC

PS: D770 is selling for $56 right now (Dec 2005) at fullcompass.com. And I just ordered a Rode NT5, nice mic with several uses.

Well, Sillybee, I'm focusing on AKG mics just because, with a few notable exceptions (D112, C414), they're not as widely known or used as many others. D6 is an Audix mic, and has become widely used for that modern "big click" sound. I think it is a very good kick mic for modern metal or alternative type kick. You won't get that sound from a D112, but the D112 has many other uses in the studio. For certain voices, it is a surpriseingly good vocal mic. I wouldn't recommend singing into a D6. In that sense, the D112 is like a darker, high SPL handling version of EV RE20. RE20 is a great kick mic, but that's just one of many things it does well. It's an all around great dynamic mic. D112 is actually pretty damn good on a trombone. From what I've experienced, D6 is a perfectly good one-trick pony. It's a kick/floor tom mic, pure and simple.-Richie

Soundchaser- No doubt I will have things to say about C414, mostly sorting out the various models. Remember, my purpose is to simply help folks to sort out what the various models are good for, and which ones are worth owning, not to tell people how to use mics, or to compare them to every other mic they could buy instead. What I'll really have to say about the 414 is that it's most definitely good for a bunch of stuff. I doubt I'm going to give you any great insights into how to use it. If you own one already, you already know it's a very useful mic, one of the most versatile suckers I've ever used.-Richie

"what the various models are good for"

This will be great info. I think I have a decent handle on the "how to use it" angle, so your info will certainly add to what I'm after. And I know there are several different mutations of the 414 out there, so info on the meaning of that will be useful.

*making popcorn as we speak*
*I better get some more cherry pepsi ready, too*

Akg D3400?

While you're talking drum mics Richard, have you ever come across the D3400? I bought it cheap second hand, no manual or specs, and haven't really found a use for it. Tried it drums and sounded a bit 'plasticy'. Maybe just one of their cheap doorstop mics you mentioned...

Cheers,

Dan

Yo Dan! All I can tell you is the D3400 is a pretty current instrument mic. It is part of the tripower series, which is fairly cutting edge, so I'd be surprised if it isn't good for something. I have no direct experience with it, but it was reviewed by Rudy Trubitt for Mix. He seems to think it rocked on trombone, and might be good for sax or trumpet. As near as I can tell, it *looks* like a drum mic, but it's not intended for that application. For all I know, it might be good on woodwinds as well. You don't see them much in the U.S., and the only spec sheets available are in German. It is the same mic as a D3500, except the 3500 has a bass cut switch. Wish I could tell you more, but no, it's not a cheap mic. It's intended for live instrument mic'ing.-Richie

Thanks Richard,

Good to know it's probably not a dud. It looks so much like a tom mic that's all I've tried it on, but I should try out some woodwind or brass instruments next. I don't have any good sax mics so I'd be stoked if it worked on those.
Cheers,

Dan - and thanks for all the info on AKG mics! :)

Back