AKG 414 XLS Microphone ID

rob aylestone

Looking for some help here. I have two AKG 414 XLS mics - one bought a couple of years back, and the other I've had for longer. The latest one come in a small Ali flight case with the plastic shock mount, and the other has the older mic clamp and originally came in a plastic case with the velvet covered wind shield, which I rather like.

I've mixed them up and would appreciate somebody in the know - maybe from one they have and the date, telling me which is which.

There are subtle details. one has a duller grill, the other has a slightly silvery/chromed look too the wire weave. This one has the AKG logo silk screened on the case, while the duller grill version has the AKG logo and the P48 engraved into the case. I can't hear any differences and both have identical functioning, switch wise and LED colour wise with the red and the green LED operation when locked etc. From memory, one would be probably ten, or maybe a little more years older. I 'think' the newer one is the one that is shinier and silk screened ..... maybe? The actual curve of the casting on this one is also a little different as if the mould had been tweaked.

I've searched on line but the model timeline on various sites is a bit lacking in detail on the various changes since the XLS was introduced.

Attachments

• akg414a.jpg
    akg414a.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • akg414b.jpg
    akg414b.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
I don't know if this'll help. This is my B-ULS. It's about 15 years old maybe. It's screen printed with a plastic shock mount and a velvet wind shield. Cheers.

IMG_20191020_010051.jpg

I’m thinking the special offer I got on my newest one was actually older stock as I’ve found the images of that thick surface mount logo going back five years. Apart from the logos mine seem close but very small differences on the case.

Back