Advice on a quality Mic Preamp for around $500??

Maverick87

Ive been looking to pick up the FocusRite ISA One classic, and am feeling pretty good about it, but I was wondering if there are any other mic preamps in this price range that can rival it or top it. It will be for vocals, not instruments at this point so Im looking for a quality preamp in this price range that can bring a microphone to life so to speak... The mics that Id be using are along the lines of an SM58/Beta 58, EV RE20, Studio Projects c1, Sterling Audio ST-51, pretty much all in that range of mics. I want a nice rich, clear and crisp tone, so any suggestions would be very helpful.

Im looking for a quality preamp, not quite at the entry level, but the next step, enough to hold me over for a while until I have serious money to invest in equipment like this. I was told the ISA is considered to be in the 'good pre' level so this is what Im looking for. However, if I can get similar results with cheaper mic pres Id love to hear about that also.

What do you guys think about the Golden Age Pre73 in comparison? I suppose I should rephrase, I dont HAVE to spend in the $500 range, but Im looking for something in the quality of the ISA One, the cheaper I can go without sacrificing too much sound the better, something low cost that will get the job done in a similar fashion to the ISA One

I haven't used a pre73, but I've heard that it's a very good pre for the money. It's what I'm working towards buying right now, actually :) Others will be able to help you a lot more than I can.

I just picked up an RNP/RNC combo used for around that price and am very happy with it so far. I've heard great things about the Pre73 though and they can be had for cheaper, but the RNP has 2 channels, which is just what I needed. I'd recommend it.

What do you guys think about the Presonus Eureka at this price?? Im REALLY liking the fact that it was a compressor and EQ as well as the preamp going on. Is the preamp in it up to par with the ISA One and GAP Pre73? I like the fact that the Eureka may be able to pick up any slack that a microphone may be lacking, hoping to hear good, but honest feedback about it.

I also have a question I should address before dropping a penny on a preamp, Im using an M-Audio MobilePre at the moment, and Im wondering, how do I know if plugging in an external/outboard pre in the Line In will bypass the preamps in the MobilePre. Is that a feature of the MobilePre or or the external preamp? If it doesnt bypass it, is it a bad thing to have both pre's running? Or should I ONLY be looking for an external pre that bypasses the interface pres? Noob question I know.. lol.

What do you guys think about the Presonus Eureka at this price?? Im REALLY liking the fact that it was a compressor and EQ as well as the preamp going on. Is the preamp in it up to par with the ISA One and GAP Pre73? I like the fact that the Eureka may be able to pick up any slack that a microphone may be lacking, hoping to hear good, but honest feedback about it.

I also have a question I should address before dropping a penny on a preamp, Im using an M-Audio MobilePre at the moment, and Im wondering, how do I know if plugging in an external/outboard pre in the Line In will bypass the preamps in the MobilePre. Is that a feature of the MobilePre or or the external preamp? If it doesnt bypass it, is it a bad thing to have both pre's running? Or should I ONLY be looking for an external pre that bypasses the interface pres? Noob question I know.. lol.

First and foremost a preamp is an amplifier designed to kick a weak -40db mic level up to a strong +4db line level. You do NOT want to feed +4db into an input expecting -40db which is what will happen if you daisy-chain pres.

Get a Golden Age Pre 73 for about $300 or so. Insane. Do some internet review research on it. The overwhelming consensus is that it is the shit and the best single channel preamp in its price range. Should cost more cause it's that good. How many times are you really going to need 2 channels? When I need two channels I can always use the two preamps on my Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Are you a solo artist at home like me? Then only reason I have for two channels is mic'ing acoustic guitar. I bought my GAP Pre 73 oh about 2 years ago and its fucking insane. Got it from Zen Pro Audio and had them do their carnhill and tantalum transitor mods for another $300. Even without the mods its still awesome for the money.

Get a Golden Age Pre 73 for about $300 or so. Insane. Do some internet review research on it. The overwhelming consensus is that it is the shit and the best single channel preamp in its price range. Should cost more cause it's that good. How many times are you really going to need 2 channels? When I need two channels I can always use the two preamps on my Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Are you a solo artist at home like me? Then only reason I have for two channels is mic'ing acoustic guitar. I bought my GAP Pre 73 oh about 2 years ago and its fucking insane. Got it from Zen Pro Audio and had them do their carnhill and tantalum transitor mods for another $300. Even without the mods its still awesome for the money.

these are the type of reviews I like to hear :)

In the used area look at Daking "green bricks" I love that Pre to death! New they're out of your price range, but you never know what will turn up on the web used.

I had better results with the ISA One and Eureka over the PRE73. The PRE73 I had was very noisy at higher gain settings!

I would recommend the ISA One.

Back