• Shure PG81 SDC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shure KSM27 LDC

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • MXL BCD1 Dynamic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CoolCat

a quick test of three mics....all same settings etc..
I did the two track pan thing from Warren Huarts video w/ mic inches away, by the lower left of the hole.

48 secs of some chords, with mic 1 sample PG81, mic2 KSM27, mic 3 BCD1 broadcaster dynamic.
(I intentionally went off tempo,to keep it interesting.:rolleyes:)

kind of curious what other ears might think, theres a SDC, a LDC, and a Dynamic …

ADD> weird my choice with Beyer880 headphones was probably the KSM27, but on my JBL Earbuds on the laptop, the PG81 win easily because the KSM and BCD1 sound "peaky and treble spikes and thin" ... but the PG81 sounded a little wooly in the studio headphones???

go figure..

Attachments

• Acoustic Mic test 48sec.mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well for a solo guitar track i would go with #2 but i would use #3 in a busy track where i needed the mids to cut through and #1 seems the perfect timbre for an intro part to a heavier tune or ballad. Listened on Sony headphones on laptop headphone out.

I didn't vote cuz i don't prefer one over the other, just see different uses for each.

I would go with #2 KSM for the clarity, but then it really depends on what else is going to be in the final mix.

What is this two track panning thing? Not sure how that works with this experiment....

Maybe I missed something?

I preferred 1, just listening on my box computer speakers. More low-mid definition, the 'body' of the guitar. But it all depends on how the track is being used of course.

Listening on a pair of JBL 305s, I chose #2. It was pretty close. #1 was just a bit dark, but it could probably be EQ'd a bit. Definitely workable, though.
#3 just seems harsh. I didn't like it at all.

interesting responses, thanks.. listening on a third setup AKG K44 via Groove player....they all sound the same?

Tonally, I liked the first one best, and hated the third. however - something very strange is going on.

it's a stereo file - but a single mic. No idea what the Warren Huart thing is, but whatever it is - it's flawed badly - the stereo image, instead of being rock solid centre flaps about all over the place. To check I put it into audition which has a nice stereo phase meter and the thing wanders all over the place. In headphones it's vaguely vomit inducing as it kind of twists around. Maybe as an effect it's oK, but as a recording technique, I'd not use it. What did you do to make it flap about like that?

Back