ACM & ACMP Reviews by Nuemes

Has anyone tried two 1200's on overheads? It seems like it might be a good fit, setting the kit back from the kick & snare and handling cymbals nicely I'd guess(??)

I have, albeit breifly. They were actually set up more like room mics--left & right out in front of the kit. I thought they sounded great for the few seconds I tracked with 'em, but haven't had a drummer back in the studio since. Definitely worth investigating further.

ACM Mics with Electric Guitar

ACM mics with electric guitar

Mics were each about 8 inches from speaker on a modded 1974 Twin which has a very nasty treble bite when clean around 3.15k. Guitar was 1974 Ibanez 335. Pre's were Digi 002.

Clean setting was a Credence-ish sound.
High gain setting was a Marshall Bluesbreaker II, Keeley mod Boss Bluesdriver, and original Ratt in series going to Twin.

Mics are pretty difficult to review with electric guitar because there are so many variables with pickups & amps, please take this review accordingly.

---

SM57:
Clean: Mids very pronounced, lots of color. Tends to a very upfront sound, has some air to it that's nice.
High Gain: Sounds like it adds a lot of artificial high-mids, def. in-your-face sound.

ACM1 (2007):
Clean: More mellow sound than the SM57, sits back a bit more, treble less biting. Flatter response than the SM57, ACM2/3 through the mids but has a higher treble response compared the ACM2/3 which might be a bit much.
High Gain: Most treble and least bass of the three ACM ribbon (non phantom) mics. Sits back a bit in the mix, which is nice.

ACM2 (2007, considerable ribbon slag):
Clean: Nicer, less pronounced treble than the SM57 or ACM1, But no air. Might be hard to mix for this reason? Sounds small.
High Gain: Treble rolled off so much that it sounds filtered. Interestingly, pairs very well with the ACM1, they sound huge together yet sit back a bit (compared to the ACM200 & ACM6802T).

ACM3 (2008, appears to have less ribbon slag then 2007):
Clean: Very pronounces mids, lots of color, the most similar to the SM57 for this reason though lacks the air of the 57.
High Gain: In-your-face sound, like the SM57

ACM3 (2007: has more ribbon slag than the 2008 ):
Clean: Sounds almost the same as the 2008 ACM3.
High Gain: In-your-face sound, like the SM57 but deeper, bigger sounds than the ACM3 2008. Considerably better than the ACM3 2008 for this application. Suprised to hear that.

ACM200: (phantom ribbon):
Clean: very high output; this would need to have quite a bit of distance from a loud amp. Most bass of all the ribbons, and the bass sounds very good, the best bass of all the mics, including the ACM1200. This would be my choice of all mics if recording a blues lead guitar. Though is also has a lot of low-mid buildup and this would be problematic in a busy mix when used for rhythm. Treble can be very biting though and has a very upfront sound, moreso than the SM57, very big sound. This mic sounds the most like the amp.
High Gain: Deeper sound than the SM57, easily the best sounding of all the mics. Interestingly, it paired very well with the ACM6802T when putting them together.

ACM1200:
Clean: Wow - big suprise again from the ACM1200. I put it up more as a fluke, glad for that! Nice controlled bass (though deeper lows are not as pronounced in this mic as many of the others), treble was not biting. Appeared to have the flattest response of all the mics. A little muddy in a way but very acceptable - really sounds like blending rather than mud if that makes sense. Seems like it would sit well in a mix as it wouldn't be fighting for bass or treble against other instruments. Almost the polar opposite of the ACM200 in that sense. Doesn't have the air of the SM57 yet sounds big. Doesn't sound the most like the amp but seems very suitable to rhythm guitar within a large mix.
High Gain: Sounds filtered due to the natural bass and treble roll-off on this mic. Would not use unless for an effect.

ACM6802T:
Clean: Overall sounds very nice, good bass, not out of control, treble is a bit biting but not too bad, def has a V shape sound, this may have it fighting with other instruments within a mix(?)
High Gain: Sounded easily better than the ACM1200 good but not as big as the SM57.

Best per application:
Single mic for clean back round rhythm in busy mix: ACM1200
Single mic for clean upfront guitar, not dense mix: ACM200
Single mic for high gain upfront in mix: ACM200
Two mics for high gain upfront in mix: ACM200 & ACM6802T
Two mics for high gain sitting back in mix: ACM1 & ACM2

Back