3 Mics, 1 to Select

eyeoflayman

I am currently looking to buy a high quality but cheap condensor microphone to record hip-hop vocals. After doing some research I have narrowed down my search to the following 3 mics.
Do you have a suggestion as to which one would work the best to record hip-hop vocals of someone who has a voice that ranges from occationally slightly deep to somewhat mid-range to a rare high-pitched eclamation point.
Here are the 3 I am deciding between:

1) MXL MXL990 Condenser Microphone ($50- i found it on sale)

2) MXL V67G Condenser Microphone ($100)

3) Studio Projects B1 Condenser Microphone ($100)

i agree, out of the three i'd go with the MXL V67G.
also i'd narrow it down to the MXL V67G or the SP B1. IMO

Really?!
Have you ever had any experience with the MXL MXL990? I had been quite impressed with many of its user reviews, so I thought it would be a pretty good buy. What causes you cut that one off the list?

the 990 was my first condensor mic. even after I got it, I still used an sm57 for vocals. I also have a B1. Iv never tried the V67 so Ihave no opinion...so from my experience...i have to say B1

eyeoflayman said:
Really?!
Have you ever had any experience with the MXL MXL990? I had been quite impressed with many of its user reviews, so I thought it would be a pretty good buy. What causes you cut that one off the list?

Like others have pointed out, its not a good vocal microphone IMO, especially out of the others you have listed.
The best thing to do is go and try them with your voice and see what you think, you might find the 990 is perfect for you.

The 990 is not a large diaphram condensor like most classic "vocal" mics. It could still work for you but I'd suggest getting the V67 (out of those 3 anyway).

the 990 is very sensitive. you sing too high (in terms of pitch) and it could sound bad. It also depends how far you sing in the mic. Pop filters help though.

I think I read somewhere that the 990 is almost the same as the 603? :confused: :confused:

If that's so...then how could it possibly be for vocals?

systmovadown said:
I think I read somewhere that the 990 is almost the same as the 603? :confused: :confused:

If that's so...then how could it possibly be for vocals?

you never know man....in some cases...an SDC could get the call for vocals...

Back