2 mics to record vocals?

iancl

Hey, I have very little experience recording vocals, and do not have a mic designed to record them as such (like a LDC).

I have some SDCs and a bunch of instrument dynamics.

Would using one of each extremely close together have any disadvantages? I have the feeling it will give a stronger sound, with defined sound from the SDC, but a more live, deep sound from the dynamic. It is the dynamic that would be sung through in a live situation due to its quite directional pickup, and I thought it would be nice to get the same sort of sound too.

Any helpful comments will be appreciated.

I have heard some really good vocals recorded through an SM58 or the like. For someone used to singing on stage through a dynamic mic right up on top of the thing, it's a whole learning experience to switch to being a foot or so away from a large condenser. If you sing well and your chain is otherwise good it should come out just fine.

I've combined a dynamic (EV RE20) with a condenser (Rode NT1) for a couple of vocal tracks. It was an interesting variation, but not necessarily better than a single mic. You have to make sure to get the phase relationships right (easier with a computer-based setup, because you can manually drag the waveforms in the software to align them).

Here is a pic.

Back