Yamaha Motif-Rack ES...Startup Trouble !!!

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
Hello...

Hope someone here can give me some guidance on my new machine (Yamaha Motif-Rack ES Synth Module.) Installed USB Driver & all software. Got it fired up & opened up an all MIDI composition in SONAR5. Armed an audio track & have nothing. Checked out the demo songs & they sound fine (little weak in audio output, IMO...this rompler.)

Anyway, I suspect it has something to do w/ USB:

1) How does one tell if the sequencer is transmitting MIDI data properly? (meaning I'm looking for some indicator on the Motif...a blinking red light or something.)

2) In the owner's manual, under 'Connecting To A Computer' > 'Using A USB Connector', the parameter requirement is: [UTILITY] > MIDI Display > MIDI In/Out > USB. Well...that's not happening for me. I hit the UTILITY button; & the display reads 'General' Volume = 127. The menu below does not contain MIDI In/Out...or anything else MIDI related.

Where am I going wrong, good people?

Thanks,

mark4man

Last edited:
I would try and drive it using regular midi cables first instead of USB drivers . if this works then you know the unit is probably working ok and it's a configuration on your PC.

Assuming your using windows XP , did you realise there are a limit to the maximum midi entries in the registry ( not devices) the operating system will support. It is based on how many registry keys have been installed and uninstalling / reinstalling devices adds registry keys but does not remove them . Once you reach the limit you get no midi drive .

read this:-

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/02/20/windows-day-the-midiaudio-driver-bug-and-how-to-fix-it/

mark4man said:
Hello...

Hope someone here can give me some guidance on my new machine (Yamaha Motif-Rack ES Synth Module.) Installed USB Driver & all software. Got it fired up & opened up an all MIDI composition in SONAR5. Armed an audio track & have nothing. Checked out the demo songs & they sound fine (little weak in audio output, IMO...this rompler.)

Anyway, I suspect it has something to do w/ USB:

1) How does one tell if the sequencer is transmitting MIDI data properly? (meaning I'm looking for some indicator on the Motif...a blinking red light or something.)

2) In the owner's manual, under 'Connecting To A Computer' > 'Using A USB Connector', the parameter requirement is: [UTILITY] > MIDI Display > MIDI In/Out > USB. Well...that's not happening for me. I hit the UTILITY button; & the display reads 'General' Volume = 127. The menu below does not contain MIDI In/Out...or anything else MIDI related.

Where am I going wrong, good people?

Thanks,

mark4man

Do you have it connected to an audio input? It wont transfer audio via USB, you still have to hook it up just like any audio device

Solved !!!

guys...

Yeah...guess I should have RTFM. Looked up everything related to UTILITY as I was going to bed last nite; & found that the correct method is: PAGE keys > Parameter (MIDI In/Out.) Thanks anyway.

mark4man

Back