white noise? noise generators?(analog synths)

hey guys and gals! thanks for checkin my post.
i'm really into analog synths, but i have no idea what these things are: white noise, blue noise, and noise generator (which controls these i assume?). my Korg Poly six doesn't have these, but could someone fill me in on this ? thanks alot! have a great day!
justin

a noise generator is like your other sound generators on your synth, except, a noise generator (white) consist of all the frequencys at once.. you can say it's an ultra fast random frequency generator.. bluve, violet, brown noise and shit like that is all based on the way you filter (soften actually) the white noise..
by softening the noise you progressively remove the higer frequencys and makes the noise darker.. i.e. brown noise is a noise generator with a pretty heavy softening..
you use a noise generator to make peculiar effects, both stand alone and incorporated with your other oscillators.. by inserting a noise generator into a regular synth sound and with some resonanse you by instance get the sound DJ Tiësto got in his Flight 643...

You left out pink noise

and do not play the brown noise or you'll crap your pants mmmMKay?

At any rate, the noise generator on a synth is for obtaining certain timbers that you would not be able to achieve through pure oscillation alone.

Things like percusive sounds are mimicked on synths with the noise generator.

Carl

Oh and here's a useless fact.

When you are trying to normalize a room through EQ, you'll send out white or pink noise for your baseline.

Carl

A question for those than can do it...
if you take white or pink noise, and raise the eq in any certain area, is it a very audible effect, or does it make any difference at all, or what? I may try to use pink or white noise as a monitor test in the mixing clinic... PM me, I may never look in this forum again...
Peace.

TD,

> if you take white or pink noise, and raise the eq in any certain area, is it a very audible effect <

Yes, probably more audible than eq'ing music, becaue you are guaranteed to have all frequencies present. If you boost 40 Hz. on a folk guitar guitar track, you won't hear much change. But since noise has all frequencies, you'll hear the EQ at almost any frequency point.

You can download a small (15 seconds) Wave file of pink noise at my site:

www.ethanwiner.com/pinknoiz.wav

This Wave file can be played in loop mode in SoundForge, and it's part of my Bass Traps article to help tune a room.

--Ethan

Back