Weird MIDI program change problem

nafai

OK, this is kinda weird:

Last night, while messing with some older sequences, I discovered an oddity. On some sequences, sending program change requests worked like normal, but on some files, program change requests only affected the current channel on my synth (Kurzweil K2000). On those sequences, the current channel on the synth plays the most recent prog change request, regardless of which channel it was supposedly sent to.

Now, you may be thinking "What sequencer are you using, that's probably the problem." Well, I tried it with Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro and Cakewalk Pro 9 and the same thing happened in both programs. I also checked the MIDI events list, and there's nothing there related to a program change.

Now, here's the weirdest part of all: I tried on of the problem sequences this morning, and it worked fine.

There are only a couple of things I can think of that could be the problem, assuming it happens again:
1) The file is a standard MIDI type 0 file and should be changed to the standard for the individual sequencer. (Haven't tried this yet.)
2) The file is should be changed to a MIDI type 1 file. (I don't think this would have any effect really.)
3) It's somehow caused by the new memory I added last night. (Possibly, but it seems a bit odd.)

Anywho, if anybody has seen anything like this before, I'd appreciate any more ideas in case it happens again.

Nafai

Back