Vintage Wurlitzer electric piano

notCardio

I walk the line
As long as I've found my way to the keyboard forum, I might as well inquire about this.

I know places to find out about vintage guitars, and who are some of the leading industry authorities, but I don't know the same kind of places for vintage keyboards.

I've got a portable Wurlitzer electric piano from 1954. I've only seen one like it twice. Once, on an episode of Happy Days, Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids were using one, and the other time was when I saw Lisa Marie in a tiny little downstairs club with about 50-100 people. Her keyboard player, a big dude who looked like a cross between Dr. John and Rupert on Survivor, had one.

Where do I find out what it's worth, where to sell it, and who can fix it?

Not sure where you are, but there are a handful of experts (I regard myself as an "armchair expert") who can help you. Looks like you have a very rare 110 or 112, among the very first Wurly pianos.

In the USA and Canada, the best place is Vintage Vibe in New Jersey. Ask for Chris Carroll and mention that I sent you. These people actually BUILD brand new Rhodes-type pianos that look like Wurly 200s! What they don't know about vintage Wurlies and Rhodes doesn't need to be known.

In the UK, there are a few places that know about Wurlies - Hammond Hire and Klassic Keys spring to mind - and on the Continent there are a couple of vintage keyboard nuts in Sweden, France and Portugal.

Hope this helps!

Meanwhile, from my recently published illustrated book of Leiber and Stoller's "Yakety Yak", here is a moose playing a 120: ;)

Moose.gif

Back