Vintage Synth Sounds: Genesis, ELP, YES, Moodies...HELP ME!!!

BTW2 - This is an interesting thread, even though the analog vs. digital debate has been done to death and will never be resolved.

I am the typical "analog kid." I like feedback that turns crunchy and dissolves into little fuzzy pieces that slide down the back of your brain...yeah you can't quite get those with digital. And all of the little burps and belches and screeches and skronks that can come from anything analog, if it's turned up loud enough and it's got enough dust inside of it; it helps if it it ever got rained on somewhere in its past too or had a beer accidentally drained into it. I once had a Fender Power Chorus amp, which is a great……..example of a crappy-ass 1980’s solid state amp. Anyway once I left (forgot) it in the back of my truck after returning from some drunken gig, the next morning I poured about a gallon of water out of it because it had poured South Florida rain all night. I then left it untouched in a hot garage for about a month; it sounded much better after that. So if you too have a crappy 80’s amp, give it bath and it might sound a lot better.

But then again, that was a solid state amp - so we can now argue and debate and pontificate about tubes vs. solid state. As far as myself, I started playing right around the time when solid state amps were becoming the norm, anyway I couldn't afford a tube amp when I was 16. So I learned to play electric guitar on solid state amps. And lemme tell ya - some solid state amps can make some pretty disgusting skronks, and although I love the sound of the old tube amps I can't say that I have any warm fuzzy thoughts about owning one way back when, so I don't have the whole sentimental thing going on. I've managed to reconcile the whole ball of wax anyway - I can only afford one good amp, so I have a Fender Cyber Twin. It's got tubes, transistors, AND a computer. And it sounds damn good too. If you take the time to read about how it works, it's actually very interesting. It's not a modeling amp, although it can sound like all sorts of other amps. A modeling amp SOUNDS like other amps whereas the Cyber Twin BECOMES the other amps, to a point anyway. You gotta think a little bit outside of the bag for this one, I tried to explain it to somebody but they couldn't really get their mind around it. In its most stripped-down sense, a modeling amp has one set of circuitry to produce sound that is created by a computer. The computer creates the sound digitally and uses the amp to bring the 1's and 0's to life as sound that we can hear. There is also a preamp section that I -think- acts on the bits and bytes and adjusts them to the user's tastes. But the heart of the modeling amp is purely digital. On the other hand, Fender took a different approach towards getting many different sounds from one amp. Rather than use the computer to create sound digitally, the computer is used to store circuitry paths in the amp's wiring, and it changes the way that the signal is routed through the amp's circuitry to produce certain sounds. It also has two 12AX7's in there to help it along when replicating old tube amps. In a stripped down sense, the modeling amp -sounds like- a certain amp where the Cyber Twin -becomes- the certain amp. That's the theory, anyway.

In practice, neither one of them can sound exactly like something else, but they can come close. However, having owned both a Line 6 modeling amp and a Cyber Twin, I can say that the Cyber Twin sounds more "real" but more importantly, it plays more real - it reacts much better to the player’s more subtle nuances since it is actually a "real" sound that is being influenced by the player as opposed to a computer generated sound that at its worst is not affected at all by the player and at best is still not as real or warm as the Cyber Twin.

Thus ends my non-scientific seat-of-the-pants analysis of Line 6 amps vs. Cyber Twins, which was a tangent that I went off on anyway and really does not have a lot to do with the subject at hand.

Actually I am not sure what the subject at hand is, but it has something to do with analog vs. digital. My take on it is that, like anything else, either one of them can be great, and either one of them can suck. I guess that the bottom line for me is that thanks to digital “modeling” technology, I can have, right in my own home, a collection of vintage amps and effects that otherwise I would not have a chance in hell of even dreaming about, much less actually owning. But of course there is a rub, there’s always a rub, and the rub is that these digital approximations are NOT real, and it’s NOT exactly like having that dream collection of amps and effects. But it’s a close as I will ever get to having it, and that’s worth something, because many of these digital boxes and computer programs come pretty damn close to sounding like the real thing. And they are getting better all the time. And the scope of the amps and effects that I “own” is huge. Between my amp, my modeling effects, and the stuff that I have on my PC, I have a collection that would best that of all but the largest of them. I’ve got hundreds of amps, hundreds of effects – there is no way that I could ever come close to it even if I had the money – some of these things are very rare. And then there is the fact that some of these old pedals etc. sound better when listened to through the mists of time and faded memory, a friend turned up at my house one day with a genuine old Big Muff and it didn’t sound as great as I remember. And I have a Line 6 delay modeler that does an awesome Echoplex that sound for sound is as good as the real thing most of the time – and the Echoplex is my all-time favorite effect. The modeler even has adjustable simulated tape degradation and head wear… But on the other hand, digital just does not have that nth degree of sound, where the stomp box, the guitar, the cable, the electrical outlet, the humidity, and everything else comes together in all the wrong ways and makes something magical. That, unfortunately, is just not happenin in the digital world (although I’ve had a few surprises pop out of the digital stuff that I wasn’t expecting). But it still doesn’t quite hit the spot that a big ol’ analog belch will.

But you can’t really plan those magical analog moments, they just sorta happen and then you can’t reproduce them either, so hopefully the tape was rolling. I’ve caught a few of them on tape, and I would just listen to them over and over and over again. But you can create a fairly magical analog tone, and replicate it again in a new location, if you get lucky enough to somehow wind up with just the right stuff in just the right combination, and when you do it will scratch that itch right in the middle of your back that the digital backscratcher just won’t reach.

The bottom line – digital is wonderful in that it can sound really damn good, and you can easily replicate the sound again and again – and that a poor musician like me can have so many effects and sounds and many of them are almost dead-on at what they are supposed to be. Without digital, I’d probably be stuck in my room with a Crate 2X12 and a DS1, the horror, the absolute horror of it all…or even my crappy old Power Chorus. And I probably would have just given up and sold everything for $50 and a twelve pack of Schaefer. I can honestly credit all of these new toys for getting me out of the guitar rut that I mistook for being the limit of my ability after 20+ years and now I am hitting new plateaus again almost monthly and getting so fuckin good that I am seriously scaring myself and I’m starting to think that I need to go pro, and I mean big time pro all the f’in way because I’m listening to some new Steve Vai stuff and thinking “big fuckin deal, I can play that with one hand, and I really can, not to say that I’m a big Steve Vai fan because I’m not, it’s just that, well the dude can play, no bout a dout it – except I can play too -- but I have to work at some stupid job whereas Steve is riding around in limos. So I might go pro after all and take a bit of that brass ring, and it’s all because of digital music technology. So there.

Last edited:
Travers77 said:
how about the arp omni or omni II?

and is the axxe i should get the "white board" axxe, ive seen some on ebay...

Travrs,

please indulge us- where do you live??
The arp Omni I and II are String synthesizers. It has built in phasers and can exhault some pretty amazing spacey sounds. BUt, honestly, its more "late" 70s disco string synth sound, rather than old school Yes. Its still an amazing synth which I hold dear, but probably lacks the features of a Cat or a mini.

Im not sure if your aware of this since you dont really talk in specifics, but the Omni is a polyphonic synth. Poly means you can hit every note at the same time like a piano, thanks to the dividing of oscillators. Synths like the Minimoog are monophonic so you can only play one note at a time. Its seems your very into piano, so playing an analog synthesizer might seem insanely "limiting" as yu can only play one note at a time, but thats why you have to be good at soloing! Synths like the Octave Cat and Arp Odyssey are duophonic, which says you can hit 2 notes at a time. The most well designed synths of the time include the Polymoog, which wasnt based on the devide-down pricipal. Anyway sorry if im stating the obvious

As to the person discussing stev millers synth.......Im almost positive that was Byran Allred playing, as I have spoken to that man on the phone a few times. The synth used was an Arp 2600

supertramp1979 said:
Im not sure if your aware of this since you dont really talk in specifics, but the Omni is a polyphonic synth. Poly means you can hit every note at the same time like a piano, thanks to the dividing of oscillators.

Whoa... some major fact checking here:

Monosynths do play one note simultaneously, due to single voice limitations. However, many duophonic synths were monophonic synths that allocated the *oscillator*--NOT VOICES--to two seperate pitches using a key scanning mechanism that determined high note/low note from derived voltages. Oberheim modified ARP Odyssey's and 2600's are perfect examples of this type of "duophony."

There weren't many true duophonic synths (designed with two voices)... I can think of the Oberheim Two Voice as one of the few, which used Tom Oberheim's key scanning mechanism combined with two SEM's in a single chassis--which was a product of the 1975 Oberheim Four Voice.

Polyphonic synths that used divide down oscillators (Polymoog, most string machines; i.e. Solina, Korg Delta/Sigma, the ARP Omni) are only debatable as true synthesizers because they are closer to 1960's home organs than a voltage controlled synth. You lose TONS of facilities like oscillator sync, individual note pitch enveloping, portamento/lag processing, individual filter envelope per voice and so forth.

In general there are very few divide down oscillator synths that have "that" ballsy sound people associate with analog synths.

That's why the polyphonic voice architecture of the 1978 Prophet 5 rev 1 was so astounding. Each voice was essentially a monosynth with full control over its parameters that you could save (a first). Hence a big part of the reason that the Prophet 5 was such a raging success and pretty much "killed" the monosynth at that time.

However, the restriction of voice polyphony is that there are a limited number of voices that can sound simultaneously. Typically in analogs there are 6 voices, but it can be 8 (OBXa had 4, 6 and 8 voice versions... Jupiter 8 had 8 voices), or 4 (Jupiter 4) and so forth.

Hence the creation of concepts like note priority ala "last note priority" or "low note priority" and so forth. These concepts were added to the later digital synths such as the Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and the early 90's generation of "workstation" style synths and samplers to deal with voice stealing.

supertramp1979 said:
The most well designed synths of the time include the Polymoog, which wasnt based on the devide-down pricipal. Anyway sorry if im stating the obvious

Dave Luce's Polymoog WAS 100% DIVIDE DOWN!

I'm not even going to argue this. A fact is a fact and you are wrong.

The Polymoog, while I love it's classic sound and vox humana patch like anyone else who rates Gary Numan as a genius, is ****NOT**** a well-designed synth. It was a turkey. It required over 300 engineering changes after it was designed. The design that is in there now is not very musical. It uses standard "engineering" filters, forced technology, and conjures very little of that "Moog magic" so many people want in an analog synth. Only at the very end of the signal chain do you find something approximating the classic 24db/4 pole ladder lowpass filter design... and that is an output buss filter that all the voices have to travel thru.

The Polymoog was POORLY designed, but it did offer a wide range of polyphonic "synthy" tones to the mid-70's keyboardist. At the time it filled a niche... but by the time the better sounding, better designed Prophet 5, CS-80 hit the scene in 1978 the Polymoog's career was all but over.

Especially when the good polyphonic analogs started hitting the market in the early 1980's: Roland Jupiter 8, Oberheim OBXa, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 rev 2 and so forth.

Last edited:
i live in long island new york...im gana get a CAT

i know, im gana feel limited at first, but i can solo and i will enjoy doing so on this thing...and hitting two keys at one time is good also, itll add to the mix!

thanks!

Travers77 said:

i know, im gana feel limited at first, but i can solo and i will enjoy doing so on this thing...and hitting two keys at one time is good also, itll add to the mix!

Just remember that you the synth doesn't have two voices--instead it will allocate one oscillator to one pitch and the other oscillator to another pitch.

It is *NOT* true duophony, regardless of what other misinformed people may have led you to believe.

well your right in your corrections, as I was hastily just trying to lay out some basic concepts, not specifics, but I stand corrected. Obviously true duophony is expensive and revolves around those specifically called "two voice", but for me this only comes into play when release is set up. I use the cat with the release at "0" when playing in duo and you cant tell, especially if there is a sine wave LFO set to medium-slow.

On my first search on "polymoog" I found this bit from sound on sound...

"a truly polyphonic synth must be able to shape the tone and loudness of any sound independently of any other sounds or notes that it is producing at the same time. We then looked at one way in which an analogue synth can achieve this -- ie. by providing filters, amplifiers and contour generators for every key on the keyboard. Unfortunately, an instrument of this design is expensive to manufacture, and its complex architecture usually results in unreliability. Moog provided total polyphony in this way on their Polymoog, and sure enough, this keyboard suffered from being too expensive and unreliable."

This was the feeling I had remembered, but as I have not looked a poly schem or worked on one, I wont insist my statement. The statement does not specify oscillator, as I remember the polymoog only having 2 or 3 oscillators now that I think about it...but then again, arent there two versions? The poly "keyboard' and poly "synth"? I disagree with your statement that prophet 5 and cs-80 sound better. They probably dont. Ive played both discrete versions and they sound far thinner than any polymoog Ive played. Travers you will have a lot of fun with the octave cat. Especially the first version. The srm 1 and 2 are fine, but replace the filter with a chip I believe, and finally the SRM 2 has both osc's and the filter as a chip. Another thing though, is the polymoog and other things really do not resemble devide-down organs as I have owned and omni and can say comparing it to my hammond dolphin is somewhat pointless

Travers77 said:

thanks!
Its funny...but I think the Cat was designed and built in long island new york by someone named "bonnano"

supertramp1979 said:
This was the feeling I had remembered, but as I have not looked a poly schem or worked on one, I wont insist my statement. The statement does not specify oscillator, as I remember the polymoog only having 2 or 3 oscillators now that I think about it...but then again, arent there two versions? The poly "keyboard' and poly "synth"?.

The only difference between the keyboard and synth versions of the Polymoog are that the keyboard version has different preset circuitry (inclusion of Vox Humana is the one major good addition) but radically less programmability of the sounds.

supertramp1979 said:
I disagree with your statement that prophet 5 and cs-80 sound better. They probably dont. Ive played both discrete versions and they sound far thinner than any polymoog Ive played.

???

The Yamaha CS80 is probably the biggest sounding analog of all time. The Polymoog is--at best--as big sounding as a Juno 60. Overall the Polymoog is generally considered fairly weedy sounding.

I'd definately say a Prophet 5 rev 3, much less a rev 2, dusts a Polymoog for fatness and sound quality. Seeing as I've played a handful of Polymoogs and own a Prophet 5 rev 3.2 now... I think I know what I'm talking about.

The main failing of the rev 3 Prophets is they don't have a lot of 60-100hz energy... but godawful amounts of 20-40hz. This can sometimes make them appear to be less bassy than other synths.

Thankfully there is EQ. :) Just a highpass filter around 55hz can radically increase the impact of a Prophet 5 come mix time.

supertramp1979 said:
Its funny...but I think the Cat was designed and built in long island new york by someone named "bonnano"

The Octave Cat was also a 100% ripoff of an ARP Odyssey. They got sued for copyright infringement and lost big time, and ended up out of business. Then they became Voyetra. :)

However, it does guarantee that the Cat will sound great.

Cloneboy Studio said:
The Octave Cat was also a 100% ripoff of an ARP Odyssey. They got sued for copyright infringement and lost big time, and ended up out of business. Then they became Voyetra. :)

However, it does guarantee that the Cat will sound great.

Now THATS a flat out lie! Arp tried to sue, and its pretty unclear if the case even went to court. Ive searched high and low on the net and there is not a shred of evidence that anything happened. You ever heard of SRM 1 and 2? Octave went on to do quite well actually. Im countering you on this not because I want to argue, but because this whole "odyssey rip-off clone" mentality drives me crazy. They are NOT the same synth!!!!! As an owner of both synths at one point I will tell you that even an Arp odyssey tends to not sound like itself depending on the year. I cant believe you actually said 100% too!

there are two cross mods on the cat. the cat has audio frequency pitch mods, the cat has a triangle wave, the cat has Sub oscillators, and all of the wave forms can be blended. The Odyssey cant do any of this.

On the other hand, the oddy has a ring mod, a high pass filter, 2 more envelope destinations...etc. The point is, both are different.
The cat is a much better made machine. Dont listen to the naysayers. Of course opinion is just that.

I think the cat is better than the oddy. You can tell right off the bat....the cat actually has real metal sliders as oppposed to cheap plastic sliders that feel like a toy. Not to mention, you can blend 7 waves on the cat! You can only blend 2 on the oddy. In side by side comparisons, the cat always sounded fatter and everyone who owns it and spoke to me agreed. Simply put, there is a reason why I still have the cat, and the oddy is gone

supertramp1979 said:
Now THATS a flat out lie! Arp tried to sue, and its pretty unclear if the case even went to court. Ive searched high and low on the net and there is not a shred of evidence that anything happened.

According to the chief of engineering at ARP, Phillip Dodd, they never wound up in court because it was such an obvious clone--they ceased and desisted production of it immediately.

And yes there is variance among ARP's--manufacturing was always pretty hit-or-miss with that company and they were constantly fiddling with improvements and tweaks to their designs (except the faulty design of the 4072 filter's frequency response).

Cloneboy Studio said:
Are you sure Moog designed the SE1x? If so, it's the first I've heard of it.
I have heard from multiple sources that he was on hand when it was being designed to make sure that it was a faithful recreation of the mini sounds. And judging from hearing them both, It is pretty damn close, especially if you get the transitor upgrade to make your envelopes quicker.

I could be wrong, but that is the rumor...

Cloneboy Studio said:
According to the chief of engineering at ARP, Phillip Dodd, they never wound up in court because it was such an obvious clone--they ceased and desisted production of it immediately.

according to philid dodd? Well check this out. In 1976 the first version of the cat appeared. In late 1978 the SRM 1 appeared. From what I gathered, SRM II came out in late 1979 and lasted to 1983. Doesnt sound like they "ceased and desited" to me. Again we need proof of these things!

Again, I emplore you to explain what a clone means?? A synth with two oscillators? Hmmm seems pretty vague to me. Look at the schematics and compare the two. The only similarities include the duophonic circuitry. You cant stop someone from making a entirely different synth just because the chassis is the same shape

and BTW....arp was no stranger to borrowing designs either. Anyone here remember moog suing ARP for blatantly stealing the filter?

supertramp1979 said:
and BTW....arp was no stranger to borrowing designs either. Anyone here remember moog suing ARP for blatantly stealing the filter?

They never sued--they thought about suing. (Ref: Mark Vail's Vintage Synthesizers 1993)

However, Moog was infringing on ARP's linear pitch to voltage converters. They settled out of court in a "gentleman's agreement" because both companies were infringing on each other. Then Alan Pearlman had the 4072 filter designed to replace the copycat Moog "ladder filter" design. Unfortunately, the 4072 had some resistors calculated incorrectly and yielded a crappy high end response around 12khz (which can be fixed easily to go to about 32khz).

It strikes me (as someone of the 70s era and prog rock and Genesis, etc., myself), that what the young man (Travers) requires are certain staple keyboards of the time. Namely:

* Mellotron (strings, choir and flute tape frames)
* Fender Rhodes or Wurlitzer electric piano (and/or RMI Electrapiano to emulate Banks/Wakeman)
* A string synth (ARP, Crumar and Eminent were about the best)
* A Hammond tonewheel organ
* A synth

Other components:

* Moog Taurus Bass Pedals
* Clavinet (perhaps??)
* Yamaha CP70 electric piano (later Tony Banks/Genesis)

Trying to be as unbiased as possible and trying to avoid an unashamed plug (difficult!) but the best bet (to me) would be to buy an Akai S5000 (or Z4/8) and the Hollow Sun Vintage Collection CD as this contains all these sounds and more. There are also the dedicated Hollow Sun NewTron and CP70 CDs. All the sounds are meticulously multi-sampled and are thoroughly authentic and realistic - I should know, I owned most of them and used them in exactly this context.

Of course, one could argue that a sampler is just replaying 'snapshots' of sounds but in the case of many of the instruments listed above, that all that's needed. The Tron, Rhodes, RMI, string synths... the Clav and CP70... basically had just one distinctive sound and there wasn't much you could do with them and a sampler provides an ideal way to preserve - and play - these sounds.

It can be argued that the Hammond has an unlimited range of sounds through its various drawbar combinations but most prog-rockers of the time stuck to a certain sound which is more than covered in the collection.

The only sticking point is 'the synth'.

Being so variable, there is no way that a sampler can reproduce every tone possible. That said......

The Hollow Sun Vintage Collection features several popular synths of the era:

MiniMoog
ARP Odyssey
ARP Pro-Soloist
Prophet 5
Yamaha CS80

As well as many others. Ok - you won't have the total flexibility of a 'real' synth but the sampler's synth facilities can go some way to providing that.

I am of the same era that is being discussed here and I have made it my mission to preserve these classic sounds as authentically as is possible... as I say - I should know coz I owned/used these instruments in their heyday so I know a thing or three about how they should sound. It's probably not for me to say but I doubt that you will find a more comprehensive (or authentic) representation of the keyboards being talked about here.

Sorry for what might seem like a plug for my product but I genuinely believe that the sounds I have to offer will provide young Mr Travers77 with what he requires namely classic Tron, Hammond, various electric pianos, Taurus, string synths and other sounds of the period.

Thanks for your time and apologies again for the 'spam'!!

Steve
http://www.hollowsun.com

Back