Using MIDI without computers...

89gtsleeper

Basically, I have a friend that is going to England in a few weeks, and has a really nice 88 full weighted key Yamaha Keyboard that he will let me keep and use in my home studio for about 6 months until he returns. He said that it is really nice, and plays very well, but has very limited number of onboard sounds. Basically it has a few different piano models, and a few strings models. What I was wondering is if I can hook it up to some type of outboard processor to use MIDI and get some more sounds out of it. I don't have a computer in my studio, and was wondering if there is any type of rack-mountable unit maybe used for under 300 bucks that would let me achieve this without a comp.

What you're referring to are called synth rack modules. Pretty much every synth on the market has a rack counterpart.

For under $300? One of my faces is a Roland JV880. Buty there would literally be dozens of models available second hand. Check your local craigslist.

Um, that was dripping in sarcasm.... we both come from a time where we grew up using midi without computers, at least I did :) The computers came later :D

Some of us actually come from a time before MIDI:eek:

It was between the bronze age and the industrial age:confused:

Back