Using a keyboard to record a track in SONAR

vagrantsense

I currently have a new system, capable of running SONAR. I orignally purchased SONAR POWER STUIO 660 2 months ago to use with Amplitube 2 for my classes at Berklee. I just recieved SONAR 7 Producer edition today in the mail.

The external soundcard is great, and the senitivity knobs make finding headroom a breeze with vocals and guitar.

But theirin lies the problem.

I have decided to pursue the piano as well, and went out and purchased a relatively cheap Yamaha NP-30 for 300 bones off musicians friend.

With it, I also purchased 2 midi cables, an in and an out for each the keyboard and the soundcard.

Now here is where I am confused. With a guitar or vocal track, all you do is select the correct input, left being a straight mic in and right being an optional hi-z for guitar without a DI or can be a mic input as well. I choose the master as an out, and it first records the track and then when i play it/when you are recording you hear the track into the speaker system i have connected to phones jack of my external soundcard.

However, with midi, the input is correct, it is Midi input on the back of the soundcard. Now the output can only be 1 thing...midi output. Imagine my surprise on playback when the track was playing out of the keyboard itself.

That is certainly not going to help me when i need to record a midi as audio for my keyboarding classes, and i think my newbieness to recording may the error in judgement here.

I am learning rapidly, mostly from forums such as this, however I cant seem to find anything that would help me with this issue.

One other other problem I have is since the input is not stereo, the output is always sent to one speaker on the phones. My solution to this problem is to get an exteral mixer, probably 12 channel and hook up the equipment via the mixer, then 2 stereo outputs into the soundcard, and finally into the track. Would this record in stereo so the output on my phones was stereo?

A few months down the line, I plan on getting actual monitors and sending the output from the soundcard directly to them, instead of the phones. Any advice on monitor selection for this purpose, or possibly advice on mixer selection?

Could it be that the keyboard im using is not able to record in audio? If so, what sort of keyboard would I need to do that?

The keyboard is the number 1 issue haunting me right now, so any help would be much appriciated.

buy a trs cable that splits off into two 1/4" plugs and record stereo from the headphone jack....hope that helps

Re-recording midi data through the analog outputs of a keyboard with the help any kind of cabling is the long way around.

Midi is nothing more than a command language. It carries no audio of it's own and without your keyboard on the other end of the midi wire you would hear nothing at all.

Use the 'render' or 'export' command in Sonar 7. That will keep it all inside the computer nicely and no extra hardware will be necessary.

Here's a link --- LINK --- to a recently updated site that will help you understand midi basics.

Back