USB MIDI device (keyboard controller) not showing up

NewbMediaGuy

I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP, but I never unplugged my Evolution USB MIDI keyboard controller. Now when I open up Project 5 and go to MIDI Devices, the only option I get is for the MIDI ports on my Delta 1010lt sound card. The keyboard isn't showing up and I have no idea how to get it working. At first I thought I needed to install the drivers, but when I go to do that the CD says it doesn't need any drivers and will work on XP. I can't remember what I did to have this keyboard working before formatting my drive, but I think it was pretty much plug and play as it is supposed to be.

Could having it plugged in while formatting be my problem, and how can I get the keyboard to show up for Project 5? I also have some stupid demo that came with the keyboard software, and that also won't pick up the keyboard. however, if I go to Control Panel and check the keyboard, windows says it is working properly so I'm not sure why it's not working.

Any ideas?

Have you tried plugging it into a >different< USB port??

Sometimes that's enough to get Windows looking at a "new device" and re-initializing it....

Yea I already tried that, and a balloon popped up saying "USB device found", then the name of the keyboard popped up, however Project 5 still doesn't see the device. It doesn't make any sense to me because windows can see the keyboard, and says it is working properly, however the music programs don't seem to see it. I also downloaded the Fruity Loops demo and didn't see the controller either, so I know it's not just a problem with Project 5.

Since I just formatted the drive, I might do it again and leave the controller unplugged....but I'd prefer not to do that because it is kind of a pain in the ass...and I don't even know if that will fix my problem.

your problem exists because windows found the device before you loaded the software. If this happens windows can't find the relevant driver and labels the device as an "unsupported USB device" check for this in device manager.

to fix this do the following:-

go to the device manager and remove the unsupported USB device WHILE IT IS STILL PLUGGED IN! , then turn off the PC. Unplug the device and fire up the PC.

Remove any drivers, software, junk that is relevant to the keyboard and reboot the computer.

install the software that came with the keyboard including drivers, apps anything else that you need to use it. Reboot the computer!

Once the PC is up and running plug in the keyboard and it will now identify it and associate the correct drivers for it. Reboot the computer after this for the last time and you should be good to go.

If this doesnt work PM me and i`ll tell you what to do next ;)

One more thing i just thought of.

It pays to install hardware ( in your case the keyboard ) before you install your audio software, some software will see the installed equipment and automatically utilize it for your use. IF not the case, you may have to configure it within reason, fruityloops or whatever you use.

Cakewalk sonar is like this with midi interfaces. If you ad a new interface it wont work till you select it within sonar for inoput or output

Ok well I've formatted the drive and reinstalled XP completely, this time making sure to unplug all USB ports before hand, and yet I get the same damn problem!

There are no drivers to install for the keyboard, even on the install disk when you click to install the drivers a pop up comes up saying it is plug and play with windows XP. I went a head and installed some of the software that came with the disc before plugging the keyboard in, then I plugged it in, and like before it says it found new hard ware, then the name of the keyboard pops up, so it looks like it should be working, however the software still doesn't see the keyboard as a midi device. After that I went ahead and installed Project 5, but of course that didn't see it either as expected.

So after completely wiping my drive I'm still getting the same problem. Any more ideas because I'm about to throw both the computer and keyboard off a free way over pass!

Does the Evolution model you own have a midi out?

If so, you could just plug it into one of the midi outputs that DOES show up and solve the problem that way.

Yes it does have a MIDI out, but it will need power and because it's USB they didn't supply an AC adapter. So I'd need an AC adapter which I don't even know where to get one of those, and a MIDI cable. And I don't know if that'll let me still use the 9 sliders and 12 knobs.

Besides, it was working fine at one point so it should work again. Someone mentioned I would need XP updates, but I couldn't find the original XP disc so I used the disc from another computer...because of that I can't validate XP because I have it on 2 computers so I can't download any updates. I'm hoping to upgrade the PC in 30 days anyway so I'll be getting a new copy (probably media center version), but I don't know why it's not working until then

I don't want to get the new PC up n running and have the same stupid problem

Those sliders and knobs send midi controllers. I guarantee they will work if you hook it up via midi.

I recommend Radio Shack for an adapter --- if you bring the keyboard with you they may let you 'shoot 'til you win' with 4.5 volt, 7 volt, 9 volt, 12 volt adapters and the various tip sizes and polarities. Amperage shouldn't be too much of a concern because, in the words of one of my long-ago teachers, 'they don't take more then they need...' R.Shack may have a midi cable too, but if not your local music store certainly will.

Rather than messing around with your computer take the easy path to getting back to making music!

Back