Update on upcoming Kurzweil PC3

noisewreck

Here's a post from Dave Weiser, Senior Soundware Engineer, Kurzweil R&D

Hi

As promised, here is the latest update on the PC3.

Start saving now.

This info will be up on our website soon enough, but we're in the process of rebuilding it, so there might be a delay... So I'll post it here first for the loyal Kurz supporters.

Effects section:

We're back to having up to 16 insert-type effects available. This had gone down to 12 for a while. This is 16u of effects processing as displayed in our KDFX or KSP8. In addition there are 2 stereo aux busses should you need them. In addition to that, there is a compressor/EQ section on the output of the instrument, accessible from the master page - with a stereo 10-band EQ (and hopefully some other choices) going into a big (many parameters) compressor.

Of course the spec is not everything. Take a moment to listen. Check out the effects, compare them to the competition's. (You can use any existing Kurz board to do the comparison before the PC3 is released.) This is where we kill. Crank up the distortion on the Nord and on the ones from the big three. A bit thin? Perhaps brittle, buzzy and overall DIGITAL sounding? Can you get it to sound like the distortion on your favorite classic albums? (Or newer ones like stuff from the Beasties or the Black Keys?) Listen to how reverbs decay. How programmable are the compressors/enhancers and phasers/flangers? Just things to consider....

Dynamic VAST:

I've already posted about the flexible wiring system - you can create and store your own algs. You'll get 4 "boxes" worth of DSP, each with its own assignable parameters. (Slightly more than the 2 +1 boxes on a K26) You can have 2 2-poles, or a killer 4-pole, or any other combination, on each layer. You can decide how many inputs and outputs each box has and you can select parallel or serial configuration.

And remember, you get 32 layers per program, each with its own mods, envelopes, ASRs, LFOs, FUNs, etc. If the other guys tried this, their machines would catch fire. For some reason the other companies can only do 4 layers.

OK here's the real news..... ready?

Remember triple mode on the K2600? We weren't sure if we could do it on the PC3. As it turns out, we can, but not with just 3 layers.... How does 32 layers sound? You can route any layer into the DSP of any other layer, and it's much easier to use than triple mode.

On the Alg page of every layer, there is a parameter which says "Alt Source:"___ . This lets you select any other layer to go through your current layer's DSP. You can set it up so that layer 1 goes into layer 2 into 3. If you turn down the volume on layers 1 and 2, then you are hearing true cascading - its like a big chain with one going into the next and you hear what comes out of layer 3's output. But you can also have the volumes of all three layers turned up, which will mix the signal of all three layers.
You could, in the same program, also decide to run layer 4 into 5 into 6 into 13 into 25 if you wanted. Any of the 32 layers can go into any other layer.

This function is always on and available.

Right now I have a mono lead program going with 6 FM voices (each using two 2-block "sine+" oscillators), each going into its own layer of DSP with a 2pole hipass and 2pole lopass, (so we're up to 12 layers) plus 2 layers of detuned VA1 saw waves going through 2 more layers with 2pole hipass and lopass filters. Each layer has its Env2, ASR1 and LFO1 affecting the filters over time, and the times for each one are slightly different. It blew my head off.

There will be Youtube clips coming soon of some of us engineers playing with stuff.
---------------------------------------

To answer some of your questions.....

I have requested a bandpass with res in addition to the ones with width. We hope to get it. But the effects section will defintely have this one.

No answer yet on comb and formant filters....

You'll get all the processors found in the K26's algs, with improvements. The 4-pole filters have more parameters, for example. You'll also get some distorting lopass filters from the PC series as well as some 3 pole filters from the VA1. It's a very long list.

For oscillators, you'll get the saw, square, and PWM as well as the "power shaped" saw and square, all from the VA1. These sound so good they bring me to my knees. You can have up to 2 of these "good" oscillators per voice, or up to 4 of the older K26 types.

Setups will include at least 8 zones, very similar to the K26.
-----------------------------

While all this synth power is a boon to those of you who are tweakers and programmers, we're trying to stress that it also means BETTER PRESETS for those who just want to play. All those layers of samples, pitches and filters being modulated in real-time means that we can imitate acoustic and electro-mechanical instruments with even more accuracy.

My one regret right now is that you folks cannot hear the PC3! I don't like to go on and on about an instrument which you can't get your hands on. But the thing is, I don't want any of you to go out and waste your money on something silly. I always think of the car analogy - for the same money would you want a Buick with all the options, or would you rather wait another month and a half to have a Jaguar with missile launchers and a cloaking device? :0

Thanks so much for patiently waiting - we promise the PC3 will be worth it. We're in nose-to-grindstone mode right now, working around the clock to finish!

Like I said, there will be Youtube demos coming shortly.... Check Myspace for more news.

myspace.com/kurzweilmusicsystems

Cheers and thanks from all of us at R&D!

Dave

=======================
Dave Weiser
Senior Soundware Engineer
Kurzweil R&D
781-890-2929 x252
davew@ycrdi.com
=======================

You can read more and participate in a lively discussion at SonikMatter.

Yo Noise of Wrecks:]

Alesis keyboards are pretty ugly; you should have made Alesis the basis of your comparative between the Kurz.:eek::

THE MOTIF IS EXCELLENT, AS IS ITS PATCHS. Recording from the Motif requires almost NO extra EQ or Reverb on its track--Yamaha put that all in.:p

But, I'm sure the Kurz will have some nice sounds too.

I still use my Yam DX7 which is built like a tank. Tanks? You're welcome.

Green Hornet:cool:

Alesis keyboards are pretty ugly; you should have made Alesis the basis of your comparative between the Kurz.:eek::

THE MOTIF IS EXCELLENT, AS IS ITS PATCHS. Recording from the Motif requires almost NO extra EQ or Reverb on its track--Yamaha put that all in.:p

I brought the Motif as and example because it's synthesis engine is pretty weak compared to even the current Kurzes.

:DYo Noisewreck:

Well, as an Engineer are you, I can't really argue as my credentials are in another field; however, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by a "weak engine."

Does POWER equate to quality sound? Maybe "memory power" equates to sound quality?

Whatever the case, since I haven't put my hands on a Korg, I can only comment on the Yamaha boards. But, I must insert the fact that anyone who is not an "engineer" will have to live a long time to use all the functions built into the Yam Motiff--as well, I assume this is true about the forthcoming Korgs.

But, I must add, I do have a Korg 88 keys electric piano in the studio for those folks who want to record on 88 keys and it works quite well. So, I guess both companies get Kudos.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

As far as sound quality is concerned, the current K2600 already kills everything else out there with it's FX section. As far as other sounds are concrned, a lot of people swear by it's piano and the orchestral section. Me... I am a synthesis junkie and not only it usually pulls off what I through at it, but a lot of times it makes me think of ways of sound design that will not occur to a user of anything else...

How about Amplitude modulation of a Sawtooth wave with a Conga drum sample? You may be able to pull that off on OASYS, but then again, it costs $8,000 ;)

The PC3 certainly improves on this.

OK... I was writing a long winded response... But I decided I'll direct you to my review of the K2600 that I had done at Industrial dot org.

That's a great primer to Kurzweil's V.A.S.T. (Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology). It's several paragraphs long, and I hope you'll stick with it, because you'll understand why those that are familiar with it are so excited about PC3 which makes it even more flexible from signal routing point of view and at the same time easier to use.

Once you read that, you'll understand what the fuss is all about.

:DOutstanding article Noisewreck.

Lots of tehnical stuff but you open the door to understanding a few things. As I used to tell my college students, you learn something every time you turn on your PC.

I'll keep track of the Korg and try to hear one someplace, somewhere, sometime. For the moment, I'll have to stick with my Motif as it fills my needs for the type of stuff I do.

Thanks for the information.

Green Hornet

IMHO, KDFX is superior to Yamaha effects.

It's not a Korg, it's Kurzweil... are you doing this on purpose? :D

Yeahl, I think he's a little confused.

As a owner of a Yamaha Motif ES, a Kurzweil K2500R and a Kurzweil K2600R, I can tell you that the Yammie synth engine is not as expansive as VAST (the Kurz synth engine). THe main difference between the two synths is that the Kurzweil series was never really destined to be its best out of the box - it's home-grown and 3rd party patches that make it really shine.

I use my K2500R primarily for live gigs now, and get nothing but raves about the sounds.

VAST rules. So does KDFX. I use Kurz Rumours and no Yamaha effects, that's how much I like KDFX.

Just my humble opinion.

Now, to the OP, I can't wait to get my grubby paws on one of these :) My wife thanks you in advance for bring this to my attention :D

:D:rolleyes:

Ahh, Noisewreck....darn Martinis must have got me for a second while posting.

Kurz & Korg: Kind of sounds like two Klingon agents.

I still dig my Motif but lots of folks out there sure vote for the KURZ. Good! That's what helps the economy spin forward and creates intellectual lixiviation of fact, fiction, and veracity.

Happy Columbus Day to all.

:cool:Green Hornet

Motif

I own Kurzweil K2500XS, and my buddy owns a Motif.

Some of the sounds on his Motif are just fantastic. But he says himself, that designing sounds on it is not easy (too many menus), and worst of all in his opinion (and he knows programming very fine), is that the Sequencer in the Motif sucks. That is, in working with it.

He much prefers to use his laptop with Sonar, at any of his gigs. Not that he wants to, but the Sequencer in Motif has issues, according to him.

I have both, and I doubt there is anything I could do on my Motif that I couldn't achieve on the Kurz, besides my limitations as a VAST programmer.

That's not to say mt Motif isn't a great instrument - it is. It's just to say that most people use the Kurz as a ROMpler, which only scratches its surface.

Back