Testing Roland MKB-300 before buying

MajorSeventh

I know someone selling a Roland MKB-300 keyboard controller, but he has nothing to test it with. There is no sound module connected (he doesn't have one), but he says there are sounds stored on the keyboard itself.
I am new to MIDI and rack synths, but want to get into it. How do I test this keyboard before I buy it?
There are no audio out jacks on the keyboard, I downloaded the manual to check out what connections are available.
Should I get a MIDI in/out to USB cable? That would get the signal to the PC, but it still wouldn't be audio.
What is the cheapest way to test it? I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment before I check it out.
I have an o-scope. I guess I could check the digital signal out of the MIDI jack.
Thanks for your help!

On the good side, there's pretty much nothing to go wrong and these things are simple and robust. I've been sporting a MKB-700 in a chop project for 20 years, now. Still works great.

On the bad side, yes, it's merely a MIDI controller with no sound, and it's designed to work 100% in a MIDI environment, which means sound modules or a MIDI card for the computer.

Now, all you really gotta do is find something, about anything, that accepts MIDI. Once you detect the presence of MIDI, at least with this controller, the show's pretty much over. It has done its thing. As it doesn't send audio, so you don't have to worry about things like distortion or gain. Maybe some sliders might need cleaning. Simple.

Getting it cheap? (You should.) I'd like to find another one, myself.

Back