Tap Tempo

Here's the deal. I've been away from sequencing since the ESQ-1 (maybe a proteus in college). I'm now a choral director and considering using some midi things as accompaniment. Specifically I would like to sequence some pitched percusion parts for use with live brass accompaniment. However, rather than let it play and take chances with geting ahead or behind it and also having the luxury of rubato and ritards now and then I would like to explore recording the sequences, quantizing and then controling with tap tempo....I've read a little here and there but would like the long and short of it from this forum if possible. Is it possible for me to record say 8 tracks of pirched and non-pitched percussion in several different meters and control the tempi with a tap controler (either footpedals or keyboard)?....If so can you steer me to a product. Please keep in mind I'm not looking for a machine to average tempo for me I'm looking to control tempo step by step.

Take a look at Ableton's Live and see how that fills the bill.

The tempo can be tied to a key on either a musical keyboard or a computer keyboard, so that problem should be solved. Also, the demo you'll be downloading from the link above is Live version 4, and it now compatable with soft synths and samplers --- if you're getting sounds that you like out of a midi module you can either patch it in directly or sample it.

(edit) Something just occured to me - you WERE looking for a computer program and not a hardware solution, right?

Actually was looking for one module/sequencer that had an I/O for a tempo controller. Hadn't really thought of the software alternative. I suppose I could rig up the laptop on stage. How reliable is this....we only get one shot.

The software is rock solid. I've been using it since V. 2.0 and it's never crashed or even come close.

As far as the computer on stage goes, you need to make your own decision. I don't bring mine into smoky bars with drunks, but it sounds like your venues and audiences are a different story.

And, as far as I know, there's no hardware module/gizmo/device that's dedicated to changing tempo on the fly...

Back