synth audio output line levels "too hot": is there such a thing?

bhweb

I just got an Emu Pk-6 keyboard and I am quite interested with its sounds and features. When I plug it into a known good mixer/recorder (specifically, a Yamaha AW16G), no matter what levels I set anywhere, I get overload distortion effects. (Through a headphone mixer it sounds great; no crackling or clipping, etc.) I have adjusted fader levels everywhere and still get an overload. OK; to the manual, right? The limited "specs section" states "Max +4dB", output impedance 1000 Ohms. Looking at my other synth manuals, they say basically nothing about dB and impedance levels (I was hoping to get a comparison since these other ones sound great in the mixer plugged in as usual).

I do have an Kawai GMega expander module that needed a pair of line-level attenuators in order to make its audio outs compatible with a mixer. Once I bought them and got them in-line, all was good. But I have never heard of a full-sized synth with output levels that could not "just be plugged into an amp/mixer". Comment is invited.

What kind of output from the keyboard
Using line level inputs on the recorder? (seems there is a range of inputs some with diff usable levels?
Can't also lower / control the output level from the keyboard?
There are in-line pads, but it's hard to imagine 'line out to a 'line in can't be solved.

(Through a headphone mixer it sounds great...
..(you aren't using the headphone out right?

Hello, mixit. Here they are: keyboard output is the standard audio outs (not accidentally the headphone), yes to line level inputs on the recorder, keyboard has volume fader and also volume foot pedal. Even with all gain-staging set to low levels, what I still hear is a soft but distorted signal.

Hello, mixit. Here they are: keyboard output is the standard audio outs (not accidentally the headphone), yes to line level inputs on the recorder, keyboard has volume fader and also volume foot pedal. Even with all gain-staging set to low levels, what I still hear is a soft but distorted signal.

'Soft.. but distorted! There's a clue here ..not sure what it is, but it's a start.

By the way, you didn't answer #1- Which and what kind of output from the keyboard.

Hello: I have the standard stereo analog outs, L & R, intended for connection to either stage amps or analog inputs to recording gear.

A fine point of the manual turned up what is likely the cause: by routing the signals directly into the standard input jacks (bypassing the patch bay), the signals are now fine. Input channel 8, which I had been using, has a subtle link to a dedicated Hi-Z input jack! Some searching online reveals that it is possible to use attenuator components to reduce the analog signal by 40-50 dB so that it can be connected to a Hi-Z input. I am going to check into the details ...

A fine point of the manual turned up what is likely the cause: by routing the signals directly into the standard input jacks (bypassing the patch bay), the signals are now fine. Input channel 8, which I had been using, has a subtle link to a dedicated Hi-Z input jack! Some searching online reveals that it is possible to use attenuator components to reduce the analog signal by 40-50 dB so that it can be connected to a Hi-Z input. I am going to check into the details ...

Well progress!
Now, if I read that right, what the heck would you want to dump the keyboard's line level out down to inst level.. when there's obviously other appropriate inputs available to the recorder? It's contrary to all signal and gain staging practices..

Back