Stage Piano's

MusicSmoothie

Hi guys.

Lately, I have been looking at some stage pianos. I've been playing keyboard for a while and have started having lessons on a piano with weighted keys.

When I'm at home practicing for my lessons, I have to practice on a Yamaha synthesizer but what I really need is a stage piano with weighted keys.

If anybody can recommend any models i will be very grateful, Thank You.

Matt

Bang for the Buck I like the Yamahas.

Expect to pay $500 and up for something with 88 weighted keys and good tone.

You need to try and play them all to find out what features are important for you.

You should consider:

Weight
Size
Sounds/Tone
Easy of Use
Max Volume if using built in speakers
If you want/need and open dampener simulator.

I'd start by looking at the Yamaha P-85 & P-155 & S90xs & CP100 & MO8
All of higher end yamaha's use a similar keybed action so the if you find a difference in the feel it's probably your fingers lying to you.

If I was looking for a portable solo "piano" axe I would personally start with the P-155 as a minimum. It's got that open dampener simulation going on that I mentioned above. I consider this a prosumer instrument.

I play in a rock band and have need for B3 and 80s sounds so my gigging axe is a Motif ES7. Neat thing about this keyboard is that I can load whatever piano sound I want into it, and the waterfall keys are fast and don't wear your fingers out.

Racherik

A few years ago, Yamaha synth pianos developed a sticking-key problem. Yamaha will replace the keyboard portion free, once per piano. They check SN's to be sure it has not been done, already. If you find an older 88-key synth piano from Yamaha that has sticking keys, you might get lucky- I did.

The Yamaha stage pianos rate high with most keyboard players looking for a good weighted feel and realistic piano sound. Roland also makes some decent rigs. Surprisingly the Casio PX line have very decent feel and very decent sound ........ (I use a PX310 in my studio) although I don't think I would depend on it as a gigging instrument (it's not made very road durable)

Thanks

Thanks guy's. I've just bought myself a korg sp-250! and its great! As you mentioned, while I was trying it out at the shop, i checked how comfortable it was for me and its fantastic, thank you! :')

Back