Setting Up Foot Pedal

andyouandi

I'm a bass player and I'm interested in setting up a foot pedal system.

All I really expect to use are string sounds and/or voice pads so, I don't want to spend a lot..

I'm looking at the StudioLogic MP117 which seems to be a midi controller.

What should I use with this? I've looked at the Kurzweil ME1 (which i dont exactly know what it is) and the Edirol SD-80, both more than i'd like to spend.

Any other cheap-o suggestions? (rack-mountable would be a huge plus)

You're right. The StudioLogic unit IS a midi controller.

With a midi controller like this one, the wide world of synthesis, sampling, physical modeling and just about every other sound generation scheme are available to you.

Midi is a more or less universal control language that is NOT manufacturer specific --- you could put a Casio CZ-101 on the other end of the midi wire just as well as you could that little cute Kurzweil half rack sound module.

What you will need in addition to that controller is a module of some kind and if you'd like to make it rack mountable that's up to you. Buy that controller new (for the warranty mostly) but seriously consider buying a used sound module. Ebay is a great place for that, and through 5+ years of buying used stuff I've yet to find a piece that's DOA. If a synth module from a major manufacturer is going to die it's going to do it within the first few weeks.

Google Harmony Central for their synth site to check out individual modules.

Back