Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sequencer vs recorder

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    I used the terms he used, as he used them, so he could easily understand the response. By the very nature of his question, he doesn't realize that most platforms these days do both, so you rarely have to choose between the two.
    Well, the term IS the Roland term. If they used Recorder, they can do that. They also have sequencers they just call sequencers. On the fp-30 ( I think) at a bargain price, they just have a basic MIDI recorder. There is no 14-track like on my Casio,.I almost bought my first Roland last year, the JD-Xi. I told my friend in Germany it was in my cart but I will think on it for a day. hahaha It's still a very sexy keyboard and a 4-track pattern sequencer is still useful (if you don't have one)

Someone recently just mentioned their old Cubase and sequencing on the Atari 520. I think the early Tomita stuff had to be all programming ?

Thanks
    Like I said, I was trying to communicate with him as he understands the concepts.

Everything mentioned in this thread records something, so they are all technically recorders of some sort. He was making the distinction between a sequencer and a "recorder", it was obvious what he meant.

Do you really think that going on about 40 year old analog sequencers is actually going to help this guy out?
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    I'm saying Roland calls his sequencer a recorder. Most MFG can say 7-track sequencer and we know this is for composing a tune with seven parts. He is thinking at the time of the post that the usage of sequencer and recorder are the same, but wants the lowdown;

"but if I record something with a keyboard's sequencer or with its recorder and play it back, it would be the same"...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    I told him in message #2 that a sequencer can be a recorder
    Only in the broadest sense and I think it's obvious that's not what I'm talking about, as Farview correctly realized.

Message #3 says this;
    "A sequencer only works with midi. As soon as you want to add vocals or other nonmidi instruments, you need a recorder."

Un-informed response
    No, that would describe your replies. Note this is in the keyboards section and it's how I started out my post, so it's clearly not about sequencers in general or in a broad sense, but those which record MIDI and are used with (and often built into) keyboards.

But I'm not faultless here as I wasn't clear that I was talking in terms of recording only the keyboard, not vocals or other instruments. This question came about as I'm looking at keyboards and wondering how important either a sequencer and/or recorder might be in my purchase decisions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    Like I said, I was trying to communicate with him as he understands the concepts.

Everything mentioned in this thread records something, so they are all technically recorders of some sort. He was making the distinction between a sequencer and a "recorder", it was obvious what he meant.

Do you really think that going on about 40 year old analog sequencers is actually going to help this guy out?
    That clearly doesn't matter. No worries, I've got the garww filter on now

Thanks
    I don't think I was confused. It's the same question from 30-years ago.

I considered he may have been thinking about keyboards with sampling, but I don't think he has gone anywhere close to that

A sequencer may, or, may not be important to you, but you can have all the composition parts right there depending on how sophisticated it is. If you just want to free form noodle around, a simple beat sequencer might do.

A regular song sequencer will just record MIDI 'til it runs out of memory. A lot of the newer stuff, more so with synths, will be an extended pattern sequencer that you can play onto as a record function. It still has 16 lights that light up as it goes through the pattern

So, my Casio has two rows of eight lights - probably a pattern sequencer
    My toy Yamaha featuring the Yamaha Grand has none of that, but a transport and track and song selection - probably a song sequencer

Thread Information