Samson graphite 49 + roland jv-1080

Daddykool

Hi guys, my first post here.
I saw some other posts which received good answers so I joined to ask my question.
I have the JV-1080 and love its sounds. It also suits my budget.
I previously used a simple midi k/b and have just upgraded to a Samson Graphite 49.
It already provides better utilisation of the 1080, for example mod. is a pot rather than a switch, so I can get degrees of Leslie or other modulation, rather than "all or nothing".

What I want to ask is how to match all the programmable knobs, buttons etc on the Graphite to the parameters and bank/patch changes I want to make while playing. I also want to set some of the knobs to control effects in real time.
I have waded through the manuals for both machines and will attempt to set both machines so that they talk to each other.
I just wondered if anyone else has been down this road and knows a simple way to do it.
The Roland manual is quite hard to decipher, with many instances of starting to tell something then referring to another page, where there is a small paragraph which could have been included on the previous page. It's not helpful.
The Samson manual is overly concise, with descriptions of operation that lack detail for someone not conversant with the foreign language of "midi". The most helpful part appears to be the table of midi CC numbers, although I'm not 100% sure how to apply them.
Can someone lead me through this jungle?
If anyone has done this, would they have a sys.ex file I can load to attain the state of control I desire?
Many thanks in advance and hope what I ask is possible. :)

Last edited:
Well, I have made some progress. I am able to change patches now but not banks, and the patch changes only have a range of 128, so still have to reach for the module's encoder to pass that threshold. I have got some sliders controlling portamento and a sort of brightness parameter. I can set one of the sliders to control modulation, not that it's much help. I can't yet get cutoff and resonance happening. Reverb and chorus are not responding, either. I have some JV-1080 editors to tryout when my USB to midi cable arrives. I have the editor for the Graphite too, but I sense that it's inside the Roland that the answer lies.

I have the (now discontinued) soundiver JV editor. Really opens up the JV, which is still a very capable synth/rompler.

Sorry I dont know much about the Samson...I mapped the editor to Push or draw in automation.

let me know if you want a copy of the editor, it was last supported in XP but Ive had it running all the way up to Win 8

Hey kcearl, thanks very much for the input! I'll try that one as well as the others I have.

I edited a few patches last night manually and although it was slow, I got some sounds I wanted, so a good editor will definitely help.

I can see many of the preset sounds can easily be improved and no doubt some new ones can be built.

As for control, I have learned that patches need to be set to allow parameter/effects control and the range of control.

The sounds coming from my JV are improving all the time!

Any hints about how to get the SD editor to recognise the JV? I tried "scan all" but it didn't seem to do anything...

Second try, the list of models came up in the window and I was able to install the JV manually but the software isn't recognising it.

In/out are connected correctly. My new midi/USB adaptor could be faulty, I guess.

I reset the JV to factory settings and then re-enabled rec sysex and trans edit.

Last edited:
I have the (now discontinued) soundiver JV editor. Really opens up the JV, which is still a very capable synth/rompler.

Sorry I dont know much about the Samson...I mapped the editor to Push or draw in automation.

let me know if you want a copy of the editor, it was last supported in XP but Ive had it running all the way up to Win 8

Hello

I own a Roland JV-2080 :-)

Could you please send me a copy of JV soundiver (for Windows)?
Or a link to download it?

My e-mail: jpr_parti@yahoo.es

Thank you very much.
A cordial greeting!! :-)

Back