Roland SonicCell

Does anyone own one of these Roland SonicCells? Is it worth the money?

I don't own one, but it looks to me like it's a professional wolf in semi-pro sheep's clothing.

It has a Roland General Midi 2 soundset which I'm sure sounds great right out of the box and includes 256 'user patch' locations to store your sonic tweaking of those sounds. It has room for 2 SRX series expansion boards, a VST interface for ease of 'sound design' (as Roland puts it) and is a USB audio interface.

As long as you need all of those things, it looks to me like it's a good deal at the asking price. If you've already got either a recent Roland synth or synth module or a USB audio interface that you're happy with the 'value for money' scales kinda tip the other way.

The SonicCell is out now. Its priced cheaper than the Fantom rack unit, so I'd say its a good buy. Especially since it has the soundset of the fantom plus some new sounds and its expandable. The fantom kybd & rack are a bit steep for me. The desktop size will especially be nice for computer musicians who mainly use software and are looking for an external unit to connect to a midi controller. The fact that its well under 1000 ($799ish), is definitely attractive. Plus the usb connectivy is a good idea. I'm considering buying one.

Back