roland midi control + sb live = latency issues

ambi

Right now i have a small roland pc70 midi control which i borrowed from a friend, plugged into the joystick port of a SB live.

The latency is horrible when trying to record into logic audio using pro 52, and only a little better when using the build in synths in logic.

Is this becuase the SB live sucks? If i get an audiophille 2496 would this latency problem go away? Or if i got a delta 44 and some other midi interface?

I was thinking of that studiologic fatar 88 key keyboard going into a new sound card with some pro 52 and maybe that sonic synth program.

Would this work?

Also i don't know how to play keys but i want to learn, could i learn on a weighted board like the studiologic?

ambi said:
roland midi control + sb live = latency issues

no shit :D

get a midiman or a hoontech soundcard... or audiophile or whatever... just avoid those creative cards and similar...

What latency ? MIDI or audio ? I never had any trouble with SB Live! over Cakewalk. Instead, it serves the best for MIDI suite along with it's internal synth (soundfonts). If you hear MIDI recorded / playback being delayed, then there's gotta be something wrong with your system / driver. There would always be a latency, but it's too small for your ears to notice. IMHO :) .

I see well this is like a 1 or 2 second delay, makes it impossible to really play.

Drivers you say huh. Well i have those KX drivers, maybe it's the way the midi is configured somewhere...

I have no trouble with midi and KX drivers.

is pro52 a software synth?

Sounds like it is a software/ configuration problem

Everybody seems to bag Creative cards for any reason possible even when it has nothing to do with the card!

I can trigger soundfonts instantly - no delay at all - with kx drivers - in cubase/

maybe logic midi settings need to be changed

Yea i think maybe thats it
but even when i load pro 52 without logic it has the same problem, but not quite as bad.
So i don't know how it could be "midi settings" beacuse i don't know where these settings would be. It's just the soft synth open.

I'm pretty sure it's just cause sb cards suck ass. most people i know have latency issues because of them. But come to think of it my friend was using it before with a SB and he had no delay... i'm thinking it's WIN XP cause he has win 98.

I have Audiophile2496, but I am still using my SBLive as MIDI input... no problem here (Win98se)

SBLive may lack in Audio, but I think they are good enough for MIDI applications....

Leeking said:
SBLive may lack in Audio, but I think they are good enough for MIDI applications....

Clemie & Leeking's right !!! It serves MIDI great. I got Delta 66 along with SB Live! Most of my job is done with SB Live!. Many people underestimate Creative cards, but I would recomend it for MIDI minded like me ;).
Ambi, I've heard alot of good things about KX drivers. I used to use it also. But somehow, it tends to be good for audio (Wave & ASIO) job. I'm not sure if it brought a good deal with MIDI, since it even play Soundfonts at mono and limiting the .sf2 file size. I'm sure they will develop it, but for now, I stick with Creative's driver or Microsoft driver.

;)
Jaymz

ps. Leeking... say hi to Siti Nurhaliza :cool: .

alright i'll try the original creative drivers, man they suck though they never install properly and always have issues.

Back