Roland Fanton X6 and SONAR Producer 4

lysis

OK; we have the keyboard working as a MIDI controller . . . sorta. It works great in Reason; so I know it's working. I can't figure out something though. When I record in Sonar, it doesn't play anything back. If I change the MIDI Output of that track to the Output going to the Input of the keyboard; it starts looping the sounds and not stopping. I've tried MANY things; but I can't figure it out. The only thing I can think of is it's SOME setting that we've overlooked.

HELP PLEASE!

Turn the 'local' or 'local control' to the 'off' position. It may be on the 'setup' page, the 'midi' page or the 'global' page.

This will break the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside and give you a rest from the looping sounds which must get pretty tiresome.

Then, if the Fantom is your only external (outside of the computer) sound source you can hook it up this way - midi out of the Fantom to midi in of the computer and midi out of the computer to midi in of the Fantom. If you have one or two other modules/keyboards you can string them together using the midi thru of the Fantom to the midi in of the first one, then midi thru of that one to the midi in of the second one. Make sure no channels are duplicated along the midi chain and you'll be in business.

ok, so we've gotten this far; the midi is finally not looping over and over . . . it was a setting in the keyboard itself. we did a master reset on the keyboard and it stopped . . . still can't figure out what setting it was.

NOW . . . when we record using the keyboard as midi; it just records the notes pressed. which is sweet. but it doesn't save the sound bank or anything when we record it . . . so it all plays back as the same sound bank . . . or whatever sound bank the keyboard is currently set to. any ideas on that?

There are two ways to correct this problem, the first being to save whatever combination of sounds you are using on the song as a multi patch or combi setup inside the Fantom itself. This has the advantage of leaving all FX routings and levels in place but the disadvantage that there are a finite number of slots to save multi patches and you will run out at some point.

The second is to use program change messages on a generic template you have set up in the keyboard. The problem is there are 127 midi program change commands but many more sounds than that inside the Fantom, so you will need to use bank change commands too. There may be a way Sonar has to deal with these, and for that you need to look in the Sonar manual under 'bank change'.

Back