Replace MC505 Groovebox with Drum Machine/Sampler/other

mfx

Hi all need some advise and views (my minds a little scrambled and over fried at the moment with other work). Please bare in mind this is a reflective post to help decide and looking for input from you all please.
Basically my rig I have had an MC505 for many years which sounds are still accessible via midi but the screens gone a several controllers/buttons not functioning and more likely beyond or not able to get repaired. I want to replace it and realise there are many options, different work methods and products options to replace it, so here I am.
What I need is something to replace the groove box (experience), enable to create beats/loops/phrases outside of the PC environment but still be able to integrate it into the DAW (Cubase/Reaper). Already have a massive database of (Battery/Kontakt/VSTs/Samples/Instruments) which has got me thinking about the sampler route, more specific the Akais MPCs 2500/5000.
So this is the headache...electronica music no acoustics music and here’s what I am mulling over :
Sampling :
Akai 2500/5000
The 5000 is pretty much doubling up what I already have in a DAW, however, has ADAT which would be useful as my rig is running out of inputs outputs but I do have other routing (Fireface direct into DAW with send/returns for external effects and inputs from h/ware synths). As the RME Fireface800 has ADAT which can be daisy chained as it is firstly used by the TC fireworx) it would be handy however I am unsure if the ADAT would carry just one stereo signal from the AKAI to the Soundcard/DAW or multitrack 8 tracks at once and what is the maximum stereo channels the ADAT can carry ie 8+1=9 stereo signals? Does it integrate with a PC nicely for sequencing remotely (from DAW to Akai).The 2500 seems better for me as I don’t really need the 5000’s multitracking function but the ADAT is appealing for routing into the DAW...Or could I route external equipment into the DAW via Akai?
Groove boxes :
Elektrons SPS1-MKii (don’t think I would need the UW)
Elektrons Octatrack (when released – but gut feeling its more gimicky than production)
Korgs Electribe
There is a massive difference and comparison which I know is showing my hesitation for the 2.
Main points are :
I have a good rig in a static location with the synths and vst plugins.
I want to be able to create beats more fluidly and using pads and not reltying on a PC/mouse.
Portablility of a drummachine/sampler (I know the Akai 5000 is not that portable but more so than the rig)
I want to be able to integrate whatever I get in with the PC DAW with ease.
I looking for opinions of the S5000 being over the top considering the existing rig, will it integrate nicely and it does provide a 1 unit solution or should I look at the 2500/something else?
Should I simply replace with a drum machine?
Should I be less greedy or more specific and look at a dedicated drum machine/groovebox/sampler.

Thanks for your time

Opted for Maschine in the end, couldnt resist it. Think it will do for the time being. i reckon its about time Akai got a new range launching :)

Back