Recommend a Live Performance Piano Keyboard

bgavin

What is a good live-performance keyboard for piano sounds?

I'd like info on quality, key feel, and sound. I don't need something that has a zillion functions I won't use. It would be a companion to my Hammond XK-2.

I'd like something of good quality and feel, as a keeper.

"Good Keyboard?"

Just as mentioned above-

-it all depends on what you want to spend.

If you have a fair amount set aside, there are numerous options in the $1000 - $2000 range. As far as the criteria you specified, I would personally reccomend a Kawai. They tend to be a bit expensive when sold in shops, but they are truly quality instruments. They have arguably the best actions of any keyboards/digital stage pianos, and one of the nicest piano sounds in the industry. The ES series is the midrange stage piano for Kawai. I have the ES 3, which is the most popular of the ES series. It's pretty streamlined, no real bells and whistles to speak of. Basically, you plug it in and play. If you decide to audition it, don't judge it on the built-in speakers, they sound like shit. This instrument has basically everything you're after; simple to operate, excellent piano sound, and great action. Here's the stinger, minimum $1200 new. Not too terribly bad, but it's a bit of an investment. You have to pay for quality I suppose. I actually laid down $1700 in the shop, and even though I got the stand and the case for the price, I know I got ripped off big time. Only afterward did I find it on the internet for a lower price. Actually, for that price, you might be able to pick up the slightly larger model, the ES 5. A few more sounds, a rhythm section, and a better speaker system are the only real difference.

If your budget is less than $1000, the best option is to go used. Yamaha P-80 has beautiful piano sounds (I personally prefer them to successive Yamaha models) and a nice action. It's pretty basic as far as features, and as it was discontinued, a used model will probably run under $800 or so. Another fairly decent model was Roland RD-100. I played in a jazz ensamble several years ago, and I liked this instrument. Also slightly outdated, and probably available used for a decent price. Though I sound like a broken record, we go back to good old Kawai. The MP9000 professional stage piano was the predecessor to the MP9500. Both feature the same main piano sound as ES3 (and for that matter, all Kawais), and both have real wood keys for an action superior to any other keyboard. The MP9000 can be had used for a fairly decent price. It goes against your criteria somewhat in that it has more gadgets than a swiss army knife, and it's a bit complicated. Even so, just a suggestion.

All in all, though I'm sure you expected this response, the "best keyboard" question is best answered by swinging into a music shop somewhere and trying out as many 'boards as you see. There are so many different perspectives on the issue, as there are so many different conceptions as to what the perfect instrument should include, and many different uses for keyboards. I have offered my two cents, what you decide is ultimately up to you.

Hope this helps
-Rich

Life sucks, drink beer - the proven philosophy

There are a lot of models to choose from, and it all depends on what your budget is, features you consider important, and your personal opinion on sound and feel. If you're budget is rather slim, take a look at the Casio PX-100...It's an amazing piece for the price...$499. If the budget allows a little more money, the Yamaha P-60 is hard to beat for $749. I have not heard the older Yamaha P-80, but the P-90 sure sounds sweet, and has a good compliment of features without going overboard. The P-120 has a lot of the same features as the P-90, but has built-in speakers. For the bigger budget the P-250 and S-90 would be great choices. There are a couple of Roland models that are quite nice too...The RD-170 really concentrates on being a performance piece, as all of it's sounds and adjustments can be made on the fly very easily (big buttons and sliders). The Roland FP-2 is also another good one to consider...more features than the RD-170, but not quite as "performance friendly" (IMHO). Even though it's an older model (but still current), the RD-700 is also a favorite among a lot of people. The Kawai stuff is nice too, but their stage models are getting a little scarce (the MP9500 was discontinued several months back - with no replacement in sight), and several others have disappeared too. Korg also makes several models in their "SP" series that are worthy of checking out, so look at those if you can too.

When you boil it all down, it's really personal preference, and I would encourage you to visit a local store and try as many as you can...it will become pretty clear what works for you, and what doesn't.

Shoot me an email, or give me a call if you want to to discuss these (or other) options.

Jay
jay@kraftmusic.com

Last edited:
I'm looking for education on keyboard feel, and what other specific features makes a good vs poor choice for a piano keyboard. I know the question is generic, and I'm not asking a "which is best" question.

I don't particularly need something that has a zillion voices, etc. Just looking for a piano to complement my Hammond for live performance work.

Back