Please recommend an entry-level professional keyboard/synth

Sammy Sands

Hi all,

I have decided it is about time to start building my little home studio. I am a guitarist first, so I have that base covered. I am mostly concerned about my choices in keys/synths.

Let's say I have $1,200 to spend on getting my studio started. I know that is extremely modest, but it's all I can do at the moment. I'm looking to start with a keyboard/synth, 8-track recorder, and drum machine. All this equipment must be used, of course.

I'm looking to pick up a used Boss DR-660 for drums, and a Roland VS-880. Both used I can score for about $800 on HC or eBay, unless you have any other recommendations. I'm focusing on the keys/synth now. That leaves about $300-$400 for that.

What do you recommend for a good, entry-level, professional-sounding keyboard/synth — in the $400 range, used?

Thanks!

You can probably find several decent used synths in the $300-$400 range. It's difficult to recommend a specific unit, not knowing what you want/need. I'm assuming you need a keyboard (vs. a rack module). Obviously, if you can buy direct from the previous owner you have a better chance of learning the history - was the keyboard used on the road vs. only in a home studio, etc. If you shop used, make sure you play every key (using different sounds) to confirm that it works well - in particular if the keys are pressure sensitive). When buying a keyboard the "key" things to consider are:

What kind of "feel" do you want from the keyboard? (Piano players normally want a "weighted feel" - which costs more.) Also how many keys do you need? You should be able to get by with 61 (vs. 76 or 88). Naturaly more keys = more cost.

What kind of sounds do you need? Realistic piano/organ vs. "synth sounds"? Is Midi application important?

Do you need on board effects? If you're just starting out, chorus and reverb on the keyboard eliminates the need for rack units.

Do you need a sequencer vs. simply a sound generating module? If you plan to sequence, how many "voices" will you need? If you will have several sounds each playing full chords you probably need a 64 note ability.

Don't be afraid to buy used, I've bought several used keyboards/modules, with no regrets - just know what you need/want in advance. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Sammy,
lets see, since you arent a pianist, probably
dont need weighted keys, or lots of keys
for that matter.

My suggestion; you can pick up a 49 key keyboard
controller for about 100 bucks new. A keyboard
controller is a keyboard that doesnt make sounds,
it has a midi out so you can control a sound
module.

The Alesis Nanosynth is $179 new. 16 channels,
64 voices. 512 patches, 15 drum kits, really
simple to use. The nanosynth and the keyboard
controller is $279 together, add ten bucks for
a midi cable, and you still got beer money left.

I have a nanosynth, and a Roland Jv1010 which is
also a tiny sound module. The Roland is a much
better Machine, no doubt, but it costs $395,
so that and a midi controller and cable
puts you in the $500 range.

As I said, the Roland is a much better box, but that doesnt
mean the Nanosynth is bad, for the money it is
quite good. I do Complex Music, So I carefully
go through the patches on the Nanosynth and find
the best ones. Some Killer Steel Guitars, Great
Organs, some good FX, a few good lead synths,
so for $179, you might check it out.

Roland makes an XP-10 keyboard for $450 new.
Never heard it.

If you check out the Nanosynth, dont bother listening
to the demo, it sounds awful. Why they put it
on there beats me, it sounds dull and flat. If you play
it though, you will probably agree that it has
some decent sounds on it.

If you try the JV1010, you wont "probably" agree
its a great unit, you "WILL" agree it is a great
unit. Maybe you can score a used one for $320.

If you dont know much about synths, dont let
sound modules scare you. Just plug the cable
from the keyboards midi out to the modules midi
in, and you will be soundin like Liberace in no
time!
When you finally get your Keys, post back and let us
know what you got. Cheers, David

Back