Piano Action MIDI Controller

SuperJunior

I did a search before posting this, I just need to be sure...

As hammer action MIDI controllers go, how is the Fatar Studiologic SL-990 (both models) and whats the difference between the XP and the Pro? I couldnt tell :<

I need a midi controller for
a) learning piano on, I can't afford a real piano so...
b) The piano player in my band to record on (so has to FEEL like an actual piano)

Cheers
Joe

Just checked musicians' friend,

here's the features they list for the 990XP:

* 88-keys
* Weighted hammer-action
* Ivory finish keys
* Constant Strike Force action
* Velocity sensitive
* Program Change
* Bank Change
* Velocity Curve (Shape)
* One zone sending on channel one only
* Numerical keypad octave control
* One MIDI output jack
* Sustain input jack
* DC input jack
* Power switch w/LED indicator
* 8 velocity curves (4+/4-)

Here's the features on the 990:

* 88 keys with hammer action
* Pitch and mod wheels
* MIDI output
* Sustain pedal jack
* Channel, program, and bank select
* Includes a power adapter

I've just bought an M-Audio keystation pro 88, from what I looked at, it's features kick the ass off the Studiologic. I love all the assignable controls and the keys feel great, I'd seriously recommend spend the extra 50 bucks!! :)

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=key/s=midi/search/detail/base_pid/709203/>

I second the M-audio...the full size 88 key controller has a gazillion assignable buttons/faders/knobs that let you grow into more gear.

Sorry,

Just read that you're in Scotland, not the US, (d'oh!) check Dolphin music <www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/>, they were great on the price for me and the shipping to Ireland was only £25.

Oh yeah, and the M-Audio has USB so you won't need a midi interface for your computer!! :D

A question for those of you recommending the M-Audio. Do you really think the keyboard feels realistic? I haven't played it with sounds, but I fooled around with one in the store (it wasn't hooked up to anything) and the keyboard felt very light and a little spongy to me. As I am deciding whether to get a digital piano or a midi controller or something else, I am interested in the discussion.

SF

Yea similar, I heard the keys didn't feel very realistic, is this true? I really need something that feels as close to a piano as possible but if it's near enough, the extra knobs/faders would make me buy that over the Fatar.

Cheers
Joe

I use a StudioLogic SL990. I have tried the Maudio keyboards, but the action is just too mickey mouse for me for use in my studio. The action is not realistic, IMHO.

OTOH (she wore a glove), I am considering one for gigging as the StudioLogics are heavier, and live is where I could really use the extra features.

My $0.02.

"I read on Harmony Central that the studiologics are electrically very unreliable?"

I was looking into an SL-880 a few months ago (and read said reviews) when, lo and behold, a guy playing at a bar was controlling his Triton through one. I asked him how he liked it as a controller (not mentioning the complaints I'd read) and he explained that the electronics were shoddy. He had to re-solder something under the on/off panel and currently unplugs it without turning it off.

I don't know about the 990, but I think I'm going with a Yamaha P-60. It's a little more, but probably worth it.

I have the M-Audio and it's fantastic for the price. I use the sliders for mixing and knows for Plug in settings. What a great piece of equipment. I have no problem with the feel. It may not be the best but it's dar better than most I have played.

There's a new range out called CME. They are fast getting a reputation over here for awesomeness and have some really good features on them such as transport controls for your software. Here's the flagship model at a UK vendor:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/26151

They are getting talked up by users on the Sound on Sound forums but I don't know who their USA distributor is.

I grew up playing a grand piano and have never been able to adjust to the variety of electronic keyboards available until I tried the Studio Logic SL 880 Pro. I use a Kurzweil M1 Tone generator and have had not one problem. The Fatar keyboards are the closest thing I have found to a natural acoustic piano. I can close my eyes and truly forget that what I'm playing and hearing is electronic. I tried the M-Audio and found the keyboard lacking in touch and sensitivity. But these things are subject to personal taste. Also the recordings I achieve with my simple set up (mostly acoustic piano sounds) are stellar in quality. I have fooled some pretty good ears with my little audio tests. The M-Audio has more features (bells and whistles), but if it's piano sound your looking for check out the Fatar Studio Logics.

I have one too.( M-audio pro 88) However, could you give me a few pointers as to how to assign sounds from say, the Roland XV-2020 to the key pads or sliders of the pro 88? Or visa-versa. I also have a Y-100 sequencer I was told could be assigned to the controller's sequencer control at the left, by the mod wheels.

Maybe I'm looking for a MIDI tutor................ Hey!!!

Trouble with assignments

MXStudios said:
I have the M-Audio and it's fantastic for the price. I use the sliders for mixing and knows for Plug in settings. What a great piece of equipment. I have no problem with the feel. It may not be the best but it's dar better than most I have played.

Hello MXStudios,

I have the M-Audio 88 too. Perhaps you can tell me what you mix with this keyboard and maybe give a few pointers as to how to assign the knobs and sliders to external voices like the Roland XV-2020 and the Yamaha Q100 sequencer to the sequencer section on the left. :o

Many thanks. I realy love the board and the feel is OK too.

SL-990 XP questions

Hi all,

I wound up buying the SL-990 XP, because of a long aquaintance with Fatar, for sequencing to my new Gigastudio. The manual for the SL is small and uninformative, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out...I can't find any web support for the thing.

I really want to change velocity and velocity curves, because I usually play a Sohmer grand and everything I play on the SL comes out way too heavy.

Would really appreciate if anyone can tell me how to do this.

TIA,

Josef Patchen

I just emailed you about the pdf for the 990, but I think it is still applicable?

let me know if you want me to forward it to you.

Back