Organs & Strings on XV-5050

warble2

Not an expert
Hey all,
I'm using a Yammie S80 for my main gig board right now. I've got the PLG150-AP plug-in board for piano (have actually gotten compliments on the sound) and have that covered, but am looking for a module with decent organ and strings. The organs on the S80 are OK, and the strings are well, not doing it for me. I've read some good things about the XV-5050, just haven't had the chance to actually hear one (and can't find much in the way of demo samples online).

To anyone how has used one or still does - do the built-in effects (cosm) allow you to achieve some nice, Leslie enhanced B3 type sounds? Maybe a little dirty with some decent overdrive?

How about strings? I'm looking for backing string patches with nice velocity sensitivity. I used to own a XP80, and did like that, but also had the expansion cards (session, keys of the 60's & 70's, orchestra) loaded in it. So, I've been toying with looking for a JV-1080 or 2080 as well and loading either up with expansions. I guess I'm a little more intrigued with the XV-5050 at this point.

Any input appreciated! I know there are some here that do quite a bit of gigging, so if you use a 5050 (or have) spill your guts (lol).

EDIT: I know there are better options out there these days, but I'm looking at "the bay" and thinking about $200-250 price range.

Last edited:
Man, I miss my XV... *sheds a tear*

This is probably my favorite rack of all time. I feel that it has something good to offer in just about all patch categories. The expansions make it even more powerful. I would absolutely recommend the buy - replace mine while you're at it :D

I feel that the Yamaha Motif ES line offers more realistic strings, as well as some good organs, though. I haven't been to Roland's site in a while but I thought they used to offer samples. If not, you could always visit your local music store and ask 'em to hook one up for you.

Anytime you're weighing quality of sounds/patches, things get very subjective. The only real way to know if you're getting what you want is to hear it yourself.

I've played an ES before and loved what I heard, but am not really in the market for a new board, or to spend $800+ for a module.

I searched online at the GC Website for used gear - no XV-5050's in MI - although there is one down in Akron, OH. I guess my main thing I'm looking to compliment the S80 with is some nice strings, a couple nice organ patches, and maybe even some nice pads to layer with piano on my S80. I feel the S80 lacks in those three departments, and just want to spend a couple hundred bucks to compliment it.

You can wait and get some more opinions from guys who favor other racks.

My vote goes for the XV, though.

Going in blind (without hearing for yourself) is always dangerous when buying this kind of equipment. The XV suited MY style & purposes just fine. I hope it works for you too...

You can wait and get some more opinions from guys who favor other racks.

My vote goes for the XV, though.

Going in blind (without hearing for yourself) is always dangerous when buying this kind of equipment. The XV suited MY style & purposes just fine. I hope it works for you too...

Thanks for your input.

The XV-5050 is a good unit. It's an all-purpose type synth so it's hard to imagine it not working for most people.

The 5050 has two expansion slots, so you could add the SRX-04 string board, and one of the other boards that has organs.

If you don't mind a two rack space unit, the XV-5080 was the top of the line for that generation. One of the big differences is that it has four JV style expansion slots, and four SRX style expansion slots. So you could continue to use the expansion boards you have now, but also add some of the newer SRX boards.

That's a very good question and one tough for me to answer - coming from one who used to use the XV-5050 as a main source and now uses the Fantom.

Personally, I think that, pound for pound, the XV line has more sounds that you will want to use out of the box. Minimal tweaking (personal opinion here). The Fantom has a better sound engine but I find myself doing a lot more tweaking than I did on the XV. There's also a lot of stock tones that I found pretty useless<---another personal thing. The stereo imaging and effects are better on the Fantom to me.

I'd recommend either unit but I feel if you're looking for a beast you can use right out of the box, the XV wins. Mine got melted in the summer sun a couple of years ago and I wish I had it back...:(

The XV-5050 is a good unit. It's an all-purpose type synth so it's hard to imagine it not working for most people.

The 5050 has two expansion slots, so you could add the SRX-04 string board, and one of the other boards that has organs.

If you don't mind a two rack space unit, the XV-5080 was the top of the line for that generation. One of the big differences is that it has four JV style expansion slots, and four SRX style expansion slots. So you could continue to use the expansion boards you have now, but also add some of the newer SRX boards.

Thanks for the input. I may look into a used XV-3080 as well. Has the 128 voice polyphony, 6 expansion slots and runs cheaper than the 5080.

I've been reminiscing lately about my XP80 I used to own. Had the Orchestra, Session and Keys of the 60's and 70's expansions cards in it...what a great machine. Sold it and got my Yammie S80 - which I love - but, it doesn't have the pads, orchestra and organs.

The 128 note polyphony is a good thing. I found myself running out pretty easily on the 5050.

By the way, I at one time or another have owned almost the whole XV series: the 3080, 2020, 5050, and 5080. I also owned a Fantom XR for a while. Of all of them I like the 5080 the best, and that's the one I've kept and still use.

I do think the Fantom XR is a great unit though, as long as you don't need to use it like a sampler. i.e. load large instrument samples into it. Other than it's limitations in that regard, it's a great unit.

The XV5050 was the first synth rack I ever bought. Really good sounds easy to get around on by patch number, bank, or sound category. a place to save 64 of your faovrite patches. I definitely miss it. Missed so much less than a year after I sold it I went looking for another but found a REALLY good deal on a XV5080(same sound set for the most part the 5050 has the entire 5080 soundset plus a few more + USB). 5080 has a bigger lcd more buttons so it's easier to get around on.Tons more expansion slots(4+4) and outputs(8). You Prolly won't find this in the price range you're looking for.

The FantomXR (which I also have cuz i'm and expansion board nut) Is very nice but IMO alot of the patches are drowned in reverb and delay so some tweaking is in order. I like the XV's software editor better. Easier to load new patches and banks and has next and previous patch buttons.

Look for a used xv2020 also same engine as the 5050 in a half rack should be ez to find one in your price range.

The 2020 doesn't sound as good as the rest of the XV series. While it is compatible as far as sounds and SRX boards, it has different fx and the actual hardware sound generator is different.

I can vouch for the XV5050. Nice string sounds, although I would consider upgrading and getting the SRX 'complete orchestra' expansion card for it - you'll get much more diverse string sounds that way. Pretty realistic, although I'm currently looking into the soft side of things, particularly the EastWest sample libraries, which if you hear the demos sound pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing.

As for velocities (I think you mentioned), you can edit all you want on the XV5050 - I often do - to get the shape you want. Quite powerful editing features, particularly using the bundled software that comes with the XV5050 - it connects via USB.

As for organ sounds, I never use them, but I would guess they're of a good quality as the synth is a hot little thing... :)

EDIT: Check out these demos if you haven't already:

http://www.roland.co.uk/gr10/srxdemos/index.asp

Cheers,

A47.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the input everyone!

I snagged a XV-3080 for $375 off of eBay today - I'm thinking that's a fair deal myself. I also snagged the first Orchestra expansion card (SR-JV80-02) for about $80 off the "bay" today, so I'm thinking it was a pretty good day for my gigging life. :D I had that Orchestra card in my old XP-80 and loved it, and will also be on the lookout for the Keys of the 60's and 70's card (loved that one too).

So, I went a little over what I'd hoped would be my budget...that's what we do, right? ;) I don't have a wife to answer to (which actually wouldn't be a bad thing), so I gotta get it when the gettin' is good.

Keys of the 60's and 70's is a pretty expensive card to find used, at least that was my experience. You might get lucky though, and it is a good card!

Keys of the 60's and 70's is a pretty expensive card to find used, at least that was my experience. You might get lucky though, and it is a good card!

Yeah, more $$$ I wasn't planning on, but I snagged one off of eBay for $169 today. I think it's one of the best ones in the first series SR-JV80, and I loved the sounds on it. Pretty good sampling jobs on Roland's part in regards to Hammonds and other stuff from that era.

Now I'm a happy camper and a broke camper!

unless your just shooting for a low quality dance type string.. id shoot towards software.. capturing the large dynamic range of stringed instruments require large samples

unless your just shooting for a low quality dance type string.. id shoot towards software.. capturing the large dynamic range of stringed instruments require large samples

I have GPO here on my DAW (maybe not the best, but darn good), but I need something to gig with and don't want to get into a laptop config live - or even spend the $$$ on something like the Receptor. The Roland Orchestra expansion card doesn't contain "low quality dance type strings" - very nice samples and patches IMO. Have you had the chance to hear it?

I've already fired up the Roland and played some of the orch. expansion patches for my bandmates - they were pretty impressed. Pretty expressive stuff IMO (I guess in part to my playing - I hope)!

EDIT: I should say that the card's strong points aren't low quality stings, although not all patches are stellar by any means. For hardware, I think I've got a good combo in the XV-3080 and the expansion.

Last edited:
Back