One foot in one world (what should I get?)

hilarypaprocki

Okay, so I can do pretty much most what I want to with one of those plastic keyboards with speakers in it. But suppose I wanted some nicer sound presets (all but especially organ), no barking dog sounds and no speakers? What is the class of machines I should be looking at?

Or is there any such thing? Are all keyboards either $100 toys or $2000 soundwave manipulation devices? Is there a still-kinda-cheap keyboard, preset-based, that is somehow elevated from the kiddie toys with too many features and too-garish graphics? Is there a Fender Squier of the keyboard world: Low-born but well-mannered??

hilarypaprocki said:
Okay, so I can do pretty much most what I want to with one of those plastic keyboards with speakers in it. But suppose I wanted some nicer sound presets (all but especially organ), no barking dog sounds and no speakers? What is the class of machines I should be looking at?

Or is there any such thing? Are all keyboards either $100 toys or $2000 soundwave manipulation devices? Is there a still-kinda-cheap keyboard, preset-based, that is somehow elevated from the kiddie toys with too many features and too-garish graphics? Is there a Fender Squier of the keyboard world: Low-born but well-mannered??
yea, I know what you mean, I've noticed for years that a real keyboard is very expensive. I always wondered what young kbd players do. You could always get a cheap guitar that was good enough new for the past 25 years, even cheaper now from Mexico and China....

So I went used and got a minty Alesis QS off Ebay, very pleased. for cheapo casio money - $250!!

Back