Old style sequencer ?

sturoc

Back in the early age of Electronic music the Sequencer was not the same as it is today.
Early Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, etc etc, used sequencers in almost every composition .
Being influenced by them I seek to compose in the same vein hence my query.

Is there a VST sequencer that can sequence in real time chords / single note lines as I play them 'live'?
In addition that I can build tracks on the fly i.e record and have that track playback then engage a 2nd track, play a line and have the 2, 3,4 or more tracks playback on and on ..Then at some point play a line that will cancel the previous ones thereby essentially starting all over again .
All in real time and with the capability to change tempo/key as well ?

I find that step inputting is so tedious, not very musical and a stumbling block to recording that nice line and instantly having it played back .
The current Loop pedals today seem to be able to do the above but lack editing,
Again I am looking for VST format.

thanks

Most if not all of your DAWs have MIDI capabilities. There are some VSTs that will create cords from a single note, but for the most part, if you are playing a MIDI keyboard (I use a controller, no sound), it will record exactly the data you input. You can do multiple tracks, and now you add in the analog (if you own a keyboard with sound) next to the MIDI data. Much more than what they could do back then or better we now an do what they did as the technology today gives us (more or less) all of the recording capability they had. Maybe our mics may not be as good, our rooms not treated as well, but a modern DAW with VSTs would probably equal a million dollar studio from the 80's.

Lots of power at our finger tips. Word of caution, that also means we need to learn what the 5-10 people in the studio did as well. Tracing, mixing, EQing, etc. So, there is a lot to learn, but the possibilities are really endless.

As DM60has suggested, most music software applications allow for recording MIDI. While the earliest sequencers appeared before the MIDI standard was developed (as an example the Oberheim intergrated systems and the early Roland Juno 6 - once the MIDI standard appeared all the sequencers simply captured/relayed MIDI performance data.

Hook up a MIDI (or USB) keyboard/controller to a computer with similar capabilities, which is running a given software program - and sequence away.

Back