old Alesis QS8 question

notCardio

I walk the line
I can get one dirt cheap, but the guy isn't sure if it can be used as a controller for VST instruments.

It has midi in, through, and out, so I would think so, but it's really old and I don't know jack about midi and keyboards and the evolution of their standards.

It has fully weighted keys, so I though that would be nice for piano sounds (hey, I might even sort of learn how to play), but I don't want to be stuck with IT'S piano sounds.

They were supposedly really good sounds compared to what else was available back in the day, but I'm not too crazy what I've heard so far on youtube.

If it's easy-peasy to control a VST piano with it, then it would be a no brainer.

I think is was just a qs8 from the mid 1990s. I got rid of it when I closed the studio 6 years ago. I dont play keys, but none of my clients had any problem with it.

I have an old quadrasynth, which is the predecessor to the QS8, and use it as a midi controller. No aftertouch, but I don't need it for the stuff I do. piano, organ, strings, etc.

When I record with it, I record the audio as well as the midi, just in case. I'll use the audio on the QS as I'm playing so no latency, then if I want to edit the midi, I play it through the keyboard again and record the audio with the edits. I have it used it to drive VSTi's but that is not my usual routine as I like the piano sounds on the QS.

TL/DR: Midi is midi... the sounds are okay

Back