NI Komplete 3

So, I'm thinking about selling my rack synth (Roland XV5050 - $410 shipped if interested) and buying NI Komplete 3. It looks like a program with enough instruments that should keep me busy for a very long time. I picked up a copy of NI's Xpress Keyboards, for a couple dollars and was pretty impressed by it. Now some questions. ..

Can I install Komplete 3 on more than one computer? I have a recording desktop and a live laptop. I would plan to keep the sample libraries on an external HD.

How will it run on a Dell XPS Pentuum M 1.73ghz, 1gb ram laptop, and a Pentium 4, 2.4ghz 512MB desktop? Both seem to run my current set-up without a hitch (Ableton Live 5, Tracktion 2, Waves gold bundle, and various VSTi's.) so I assume I should be able to run a couple NI Komplete 3 vsti's on a few seperate tracks without running into problems.

The one thing that is kind of turning me off to Komplete is their Komplete Care card that costs like $250.00 for product updates. Wouldn't I get free product updates for a time without having to drop and extra $250.00!? Komplete is a fairly expensive peice of gear and I really don't / probably won't buy the komplete care card. Is it dumb to not get it?

Also, any other recommedations on similar packs that might offer as much / more than Komplete 3?

Thanks!

I would say go for it. However, I strongly recommend you upgrade your RAM, specially if you intend to use some of the included Kontakt and Battery patches. There is at least one Battery patch (MultiStick Kit) that won't load on my computer with 768MB of RAM because it runs out of memory.

As for the install, you can load it on two computers but can have it authorized on only 1 at a time. NI uses a challenge/responce system. It comes with a registration app that you run on the computer that you want to authorize it on. It picks up the SID from your computer and sends it to NI over the web. Since this is SID based, you will need to unauthorize it from on computer to be able to authorize it on the other. Kind of PITA if you ask me... This is one instance where a dongle (however insane that is) has it over challenge/response systems.

Back