Newbie Keyboard Midi Questions

Muddy T-Bone

First let me state that I am not a keyboard player, but I can work the keys, and would like to get a MIDI keyboard to make my recordings more interesting.
I know nothing about keyboards or MIDI is my problem.

Voices that I would like to bring in via a midi keyboard are-
Piano, B3, strings, horn sections. I don't know that I would use the drum capability, since synth drums always sound terrible to me. Perhaps making the click track not so annoying? LOL.

My USB interface has MIDI in/out so I can get a signal to my DAW.

Some questions-

If I record a B3 as an example on the MIDI keyboard will my DAW record what I hear over the built-in speakers, or do I have to buy VSTi software to get a B3 sound?

If for instance I record a string section, and the strings sound lousy, and I wanted to buy a string VSti would the VSTi software "talk" to the MIDI commands on the recorded track and overwrite the lousy recorded string sound?

The keyboard I'm considering is a Roland E-09. Which is described as an interactive arranger 'board. What does an arranger 'board do for me? I found the Roland available for $300, as a keyboard/MIDI newbie, I really don't want to spend more.

MIDI is essentially a digital piano roll.

It can tell other keyboards or VSTi's what notes to play, for what duration, and can also control certain parameters in real time.

If the Roland has some B3 samples or patches you will hear B3.

In the string example you would lay down a MIDI track and then switch the output from the recorded track to the input of your VSTi. Then you would record (bounce) the MIDI track into a new audio track using the VSTi.

You dig that MIDI isn't audio right? MIDI is just a set of command protocols that tells a sound generator what to play. In order to record the sounds off the Roland you would need to patch audio cables through your interface into your DAW.

Thanks C7sus.

If I understand what you are saying, is that if I use the midi cables into my interface, then I am recording MIDI commands not audio. If I wanted to record audio then I would use the audio output jack of the Roland into the line input of my interface is that correct?

If my undertanding is correct, then it would seem logical that I would want to output and record a MIDI output and an audio output onto 2 separate tracks in my DAW. That way if I wanted to manipulate the sound I would use the MIDI track to send to a VSTI. Is that correct?

Thanks C7sus.

If I understand what you are saying, is that if I use the midi cables into my interface, then I am recording MIDI commands not audio. If I wanted to record audio then I would use the audio output jack of the Roland into the line input of my interface is that correct?

If my undertanding is correct, then it would seem logical that I would want to output and record a MIDI output and an audio output onto 2 separate tracks in my DAW. That way if I wanted to manipulate the sound I would use the MIDI track to send to a VSTI. Is that correct?

In order to record both MIDI signals, and the Analog coming out of your Roland, you would need to record an Audio track and a MIDI track. You could actually send the MIDI back to your Roland (Using the Out from the interface and the in to the Roland) to choose a different sound. And yes you can also use it to have a VSTi or both (send the MIDI data out to hardware and to a VSTi on the same track.

Back