New to synths (and drum machines) - need advice

rothy

I was recently in my local Sam Ash tooling around in the keyboard/drum machine section and absolutly fell in love with a NORD synth, I think G2 or G3 - either way it was about $1,800 - a bit steep for me, as I am a guitar player mainly. :D

I was also playing with the Boss DR-670 and found it to be quite fun too.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been talking myself into getting an analog synth and the DR-670. I have narrowed the field on the synth to the Alesis Micron, as the feedback on this board seems to favor it slightly over the Korg Micro.

This board has been a huge help in learning about all of this, but there are a few things I can't seem to find answers to:

1. Can the Micron produce traditional piano/dig piano/organ sounds (if yes, are they preset)?
2. Are the drum functions on the Alesis realistic and user freindly enough to not purchase the DR-670?
3. Will the Micron be as good or better of a MIDI controller as the new M-Audio products? (I am not into midi yet, am working up nerve, will get there eventually)
4. Can I plug a pair of active monitors right into the Micron and not have to go through a preamp?

Thanks in advance, you guys are always very helpful.

rothy said:
1. Can the Micron produce traditional piano/dig piano/organ sounds (if yes, are they preset)?
No. The Micron is a 'Virtual Analog' keyboard which means that it simulates vintage and current synthesizer sounds.
2. Are the drum functions on the Alesis realistic and user freindly enough to not purchase the DR-670?
IMHO it's always better to have a separate unit for drum sounds.
3. Will the Micron be as good or better of a MIDI controller as the new M-Audio products? (I am not into midi yet, am working up nerve, will get there eventually)
The Micron has three assignable buttons and two wheels for controlling external midi devices, soft or hard. The M-Audio Axiom series, for example, have many more than that --- but no internal sounds at all. It's up to you which is more important.
4. Can I plug a pair of active monitors right into the Micron and not have to go through a preamp?
Yes. Keep both the speaker volumes and the 'board volumes low until you find the right combination of levels that give minimum distortion.

ssscientist said:
No. The Micron is a 'Virtual Analog' keyboard which means that it simulates vintage and current synthesizer sounds.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Not to sound completely clueless, but I love the analog synth sounds, but also have a need for realistic piano and organ sounds. Is my $400 better spent somewhere else. Right now I have a Casio "my first keyboard" POS that I use, but it is very limited and sounds horrible when recorded. Are there virtual synths that simluate vintage and current piano/organ sounds along with synth sounds? :confused:

There are keyboards that can make any ol' noise your little heart desires --- and any ol' noise that you could possibly imagine too!

It depends on how much you want to spend.

For example, if all you needed was a fairly convincing piano or organ sounds you could add a General Midi sound module --- the ones without the keyboard --- to the Micron, play it from the Micron keyboard, and have the best of both worlds. If you're picky about what's a good piano or a good organ sound then the skies the limit both in model and price.

Ooop! y'beat me to the punch!

Sounds like a plan!

Didn't realize the Casio piano satisfied your piano sound needs...

ssscientist said:
Ooop! y'beat me to the punch!

Sounds like a plan!

Didn't realize the Casio piano satisfied your piano sound needs...

Well, not really, I just can't spend much more then 400-600 total. I am curious about these midi sound modules you mentioned. How would I set that up? (I use an MBox btw..)

Micron > Midi module > MBox?

Would I also be able to go:

Micron > Midi Module > Monitors?

If you have a link to one with good piano/organ sounds, that would be greatly appreciated.

analog-modelled piano

I don't know if you're still looking, but my keybordist has both the micron and the korg. Both have some amazing sounds, but the alesis plays a lot better. The alesis has an electric-piano type preset which sounds pretty decent, and might get you by for a bit.

Otherwise, I agree with the above: get the Alesis, and hunt the flea-markets for a general-midi sampling-based unit. We have the sound-module version of the Yamaha DX-7 hooked into the alesis. sweet, sweet bells and tinkly EP's. Ice cold Bass.

Drum sounds on the Alesis are pretty cool for techno-dance stuff. I think you can program arpeggiations to use as drum loops...don't know for sure.

Good luck.

Back