New Keyboard or sound module?

Sparkio

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum as I've only just got back in to trying to do some recording at home using Studio One.

I have an M Audio Oxygen 61 (bought quite a few years ago) and so I use this to play virtual instruments through Studio One.
However the downside is unless I have it hooked up to the DAW I can't use it and it is subject to latency.

Would it be best to sell it and get a keyboard with built in sounds that I can either use to play VSTis or to record as a line input through my interface / play at home with headphones without need for PC?

The other option would be some sort of sound module but I have no idea at all with these and so have no idea where to start. I'd want mainly piano/keys/organ/pad sounds. My Oxygen 61 only has a USB out so I can't connect to anything with standard MIDI cable

My Kontakt keyboard is the best thing I've bought for ages, and with the kiontakt library and others, I won't be buying another synth or module I doubt. I don't get any problems with latency. My colleague with similar setup does. His computer is working hard, mine isn't.

I might consider using it live, but I suspect for live work, a synth or modules is safer. My colleague plays live a lot - and has a Nord, which does everything he needs.

Probably the simplest option is to get a keyboard with on-board sounds. That way you can play it as a stand-alone instrument, use it as a midi controller, or, through connecting its line-outs to an interface, as an alternative source of sounds.

Look for one that has USB and Din MIDI connectivity. That will give you extra flexibility.

My kontakt keyboard is now the new 60 note version, as I knocked my speaker which feel forwards, knocked one of the computer monitors which fell forwards and the corner landed on the D key in the middle, snapping it off. Copious amounts of epoxy, and little splints has bonded it back on so it's functional, but damn ugly. What a bummer!

My Kontakt keyboard is the best thing I've bought for ages, and with the kiontakt library and others, I won't be buying another synth or module I doubt. I don't get any problems with latency. My colleague with similar setup does. His computer is working hard, mine isn't.

I might consider using it live, but I suspect for live work, a synth or modules is safer. My colleague plays live a lot - and has a Nord, which does everything he needs.

Thank you for telling me about kontakt keyboard , very helpful feedback.

Back