mini synth with transpose??

Rickbrown74

Been looking at the Alesis Micron and the Novation K Station. Dont know much about synths but I like the sounds and I was going to get a vocalist in our band to do some basic pads / lead on one. Except given she has limited keyboarding experience a key transpose function would be pretty important.

Can anyone recommend a budget box which has transpose but still pretty cool sounds? 2-3 octave keyboard all thats required.

Many thanks

I am not quite clear if you're looking for a synth with transpose capabilities (I thought they all did?) or a keyboard controller. If it's the latter, you can take a look at the Oxigen8 which is a 2 octave keyboard with transport capabilities.

noisewreck said:
I am not quite clear if you're looking for a synth with transpose capabilities (I thought they all did?) or a keyboard controller.

Looking a synth with key transpose capabilities. not linked to anything else, will be used in studio as well as live but no controller facilities required.

Hope I'm using the right terminology. I need the keyboard to be able to transpose to B flat while she plays in G etc...

Yeah you are. Usually, any subractive synth will allow you to tune your oscillators to whatever root key you want. I'm pretty sure the k-station and most of everything these days will have that feature. As far as keyboard octave's, just about anything evermade will allow you to shift octaves (my pro-one and sh-101 had that feature, and those are 20 yrs old)

Rickbrown74 said:
I need the keyboard to be able to transpose to B flat while she plays in G etc...
To do this, you will need to tune the oscillators. So for B flat, you'd need to tune them down 2 steps. Some synths have master tune knob that shifts the tuning of the whole synth up or down a couple of steps, some of the older analogs had these, more because they couldn't stay in tune. Not sure if the Novation has this.

Some synths have master tune knob that shifts the tuning of the whole synth up or down a couple of steps

Tune will usually only do semitones. So OSC tuning is whats needed.

All novations are digital so i dont think staying in tune is a problem on those

Back