Midi sound modules - best orchestral module on the market ?

IntoTheFray

Hey all, just wondering if anyone could recommend a professional grade midi module that boasts some of the best orchestral sounds ever recorded.

Thanks!!

One of the best in my opinion is the Roland XV or Fantom XR with the SRX expansion boards called "Complete Orchestra", "Symphonique Strings", and "Brass Ensembles". Of the hardware module route, this covers most of the bases.

I think your best bet would be multiple Receptor units loaded with a version of the East West Orchestral library.

Receptor is a hardware VST player that can load some of the biggest libraries. If you are talking studio quality, second-to-none sound, then this is the way to go.

I second what SonicAlbert says. The SRX 'Complete Orchestra' card is great. I've used it on many projects and gives a pretty realistic sound.

Although check out the East West libraries - from what I've heard they are pretty indistinguishable from the real thing.

One of the best software orchestras is the Kirk Hunter Emerald library. It's not expensive either. I have the East West Gold too and like Emerald better for the most part.

I use my software sampler libs with Kontakt2, which has been very reliable.

Although check out the East West libraries - from what I've heard they are pretty indistinguishable from the real thing.

It's hit or miss depending on lots of variables. Hardware synths arent obsolete yet. On my last CD I had some East West String samples, I went with the $300 JV1010 in a few spots, it simply sounded better for that particular passage.

I am a big fan of mixing it up: Various hardware synths, samples, software synths etc., often in layers. To me, success depends on the arrangements, articulations etc as much as the sound source.

Hey all, just wondering if anyone could recommend a professional grade midi module that boasts some of the best orchestral sounds ever recorded. Thanks!!

I'll stick to your 'module' designation as strict as possible.
Best thing would be to blend both MOTIF-RACK ES and FANTOM-XR

This is presently - for good reason - very popular symbiosis among many players.

Also, we know nothing about your expectations toward the best? Sometimes best for some is to be found at earlier date. For example, something like this could cost you very little, considering its dedicated usage today and tomorrow : Virtuoso 2000.
PC2R from Kurzweil is also something that might be interesting to your senses.

The promise of software tends to make people instantly forgive other equally important aspects. I would any day choose these modules over superb software with solid but not sensational output quality of their hardware. Off the shelf cards repacked into modules do not make something sound superb. Otherwise, every DVI would offer exactly the same theoretical representation of picture quality, and every 6MB camera would offer the same photo quality. In reality, they never do and in world of declarations and mediocre implementation, they never will.

Don't mean to be blunt, but sorry, that didn't fool or impress me for a second. Compare that to the Kirk Hunter Emerald library and it's not even close.

It sounds like Yamaha.:D Sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes not. The brass sounds are punchy and synthy, which works in pop but not classical. The xylophone was good but its easy to get a good xylophone sound. The pizz strings were good, the arco strings werent. Still, it was a nice arrangement:)

It sounds like Yamaha.:D Sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes not. The brass sounds are punchy and synthy, which works in pop but not classical. The xylophone was good but its easy to get a good xylophone sound. The pizz strings were good, the arco strings werent. Still, it was a nice arrangement:)

Well, I was talking specifically about the sounds, to which the arrangement is arguably secondary. Now, the performance of those part is another thing. I agree with the brass, they were obviously synthesized to me. The low brass I found a little better than the high brass. And yes, you're absolutely right - legit playing in general takes the edge off of the tone.

I generally find that pizz strings fool me the easiest.

Well, I was talking specifically about the sounds, to which the arrangement is arguably secondary. Now, the performance of those part is another thing. I agree with the brass, they were obviously synthesized to me. The low brass I found a little better than the high brass. And yes, you're absolutely right - legit playing in general takes the edge off of the tone.

I generally find that pizz strings fool me the easiest.

I think we are on the same wavelength.:cool: Both of us have the advantage of been doing synths for a long time. Its not that the sounds on the mp3 are bad, its just that if you look around there are a lot better out there.

Back