Midi question:

mr. torture

Let me explain what I use:

I use Sonar 6

I have an Akai MPC2000xl

A Mixed logic M24 control surface

Motu ultralite

Maudio 4 channel midi interface (Midisport)

BFD drum software
--------------------------------------

This is what I do:

I have the M24 hooked up through the Maudio Midisport One midi in and out.
This allows me to interface Sonar to the control surface and gives me full access to faders, pan etc.

I have the Akai MPC hooked into another midi channel to sync my patterns and trigger the samples in the BFD software.

What this does is interfere with the M24, The audio will cut out when a couple specific faders are moved or the channel selection buttons are pressed.

If I shut off BFD software, The M24 works perfectly without any cutting audio.

I think this is a midi problem between BFD and the M24, I need solutions, any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have the Akai MPC hooked into another midi channel to sync my patterns and trigger the samples in the BFD software.What this does is interfere with the M24, The audio will cut out when a couple specific faders are moved or the channel selection buttons are pressed.If I shut off BFD software, The M24 works perfectly without any cutting audio.I think this is a midi problem between BFD and the M24, I need solutions, any suggestions?

If what I've read about the M24 on the web is correct it uses a single midi channel to automate Sonar as well as a host of other programs. That means that it not only has to use every single midi continuous controller available, but also press note information into service for switch controllers and the like.

You don't say if this happens during the composing process, the mixdown process or both. Because of the bi-directional communication necessary for moving fader automation, this would be something I need to know before I (or anyone) can help you further.

If what I've read about the M24 on the web is correct it uses a single midi channel to automate Sonar as well as a host of other programs. That means that it not only has to use every single midi continuous controller available, but also press note information into service for switch controllers and the like.

You don't say if this happens during the composing process, the mixdown process or both. Because of the bi-directional communication necessary for moving fader automation, this would be something I need to know before I (or anyone) can help you further.

It happens during all processes. Whether I am composing, mixdown etc. I have at least 2 faders and 16 channel select buttons that momentarily cut or drop the audio when used.

BFD has to run in the background, the midi patterns I create are written and stored within the Akai unit, so it's not like I need to record any midi notes into Sonar. I create patterns, chain them into a song and the AKAI, through midi sync, locks to Sonar.

I then open BFD and load my samples (Kit) and the pads on the Akai trigger the BFD samples.

I think the M24 Must use too much midi information to operate, thus interfering with what BFD requires. I think that is why I am getting these momentary drops whenever I move a fader or press a channel select button during playback or recording.

Is there a work around? maybe I will have to record the midi notes into Sonar, then bring in BFD via: softsynth or rewire?

Is there a work around? maybe I will have to record the midi notes into Sonar, then bring in BFD via: softsynth or rewire?

The way you are using the MPC in your setup seems like the fly in the ointment.

I would advise you to set it up so that the MPC pads are controlling BFD in a single Sonar track (as you say 'via softynth') then record midi notes directly into Sonar that way. That will eliminate the need to sequence anything on the MPC but still give you the advantages of using the pads to trigger the BFD drum sounds.

In other words, make the MPC another midi controller, but instead of recording to itself have it use a Sonar track instead. Using two separate machines for midi sequence storage seems like it would create a problem for archiving and future recovery of whatever projects you finish with this setup.

Post again after you try this. It may well solve your problem with the M24.

Back